Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check it close, not all of them use the K&N base. If it's black plastic... it's a K&N. If it's mag and looks like a standard Pioneer af cover, it won't work with a K&N filter. Although the non-K&N filter assembly still works much better than the standard chainsaw filter. It's an open element filter with a foam pre-filter.

Last edited:
There's only about 24mm between the carb mount holes in the reed block. You'd have to make a new block if you want a carb that big.

And I don't think he needs it anyway unless he really got crazy with the porting.

And I don't think he needs it anyway unless he really got crazy with the porting.

I haven't gone crazy yet... although most people think I'm nuts. :msp_w00t:

The path I'm following is to mod everything first and then do porting adjustments. It seems more sensible to me to make the porting fit everything else, than to make everything else fit the porting.

So far I've smoothed and polished the inside of the case, smoothed and polished the ports lightly, put in new piston and rings.
I'm thinking of building a reed cage to mount some yz125 reeds in. I was considering mounting a yz carb on it too, but according to some research, followed by some math, I need 24.6mm to be optimum.

I started it last night after finishing all this. I've never run a saw this big so I have nothing to go off of, but boy oh boy was it stronger than I thought. I had a junk chain someone gave me that was almost new. He ground the depth setters off thinking it would cut faster... lol. I threw it on the saw with a 24" bar. I was shocked with the power. It just ripped through even when I put all my weight into it. The log was a 14" oak. It was wet, so that was probably helping quite a bit...

P60 Oil Pump

Any body here familier with these 2 styes of oil pump housings. ordered part #476499 and rebuilt it with new parts gear and reinstall. their is a hole in housing near the screwdriver tip in the pic and is pushing out oil when the saw is running. Has anyone expierienced this same problem? l am not sure were to go from here.
Help:dizzy:

Any body here familier with these 2 styes of oil pump housings. ordered part #476499 and rebuilt it with new parts gear and reinstall. their is a hole in housing near the screwdriver tip in the pic and is pushing out oil when the saw is running. Has anyone expierienced this same problem? l am not sure were to go from here.

On my saw that hole is plugged with something. I believe the oem was some sort of epoxy. I might be wrong though. The picture wasn't to clear or close up.

Actually upon closer looks, I'm fairly certain that hole should be plugged with a small metal BB crimped in place. Epoxy would work too. That hole is where they drilled the oil passage in the housing. It should be blocked.

That hole should be plugged. I usually use JBweld. Make sure it's 100% degreased and don't block the oil passage further in. I've seen them plugged with small screws also.

Last night I went to use my p60 and it just wouldn't start no matter how hard I tried. Eventually I figured out that my ignition module is bad. I'm under the impression that they are hard to find.
I grabbed the one out of my p51 and used it and it fired right up.

Perhaps someone could help me develop a suitable replacement unit....

Those reed blocks are notorious for cracking. They also are prone to leak at the gasket between that block and the case.

Some of those saws came with a Walbro SDC carb and I seem to have a lot more luck with those than the Tillys.

So P41 humbled me after I put a new/good intake on it, and P41 had roughly the same idle as the one that I plastiwelded up. My leak down on this saw was pointing to the intake right away but i'll be doing it again. One issue so far is the flywheel has been stubborn to come off. I first tried the hold and tap method nada then used the puller and a few good wacks then gave up. I don't want to trash it yet. So are these Pioneers flywheels usually stubborn?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back