Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim,

I usually just use a few rounds of WD-40. Apply and soak. If it is crusted on, I sometimes use a wood dowel or ground down toothbrush to carefully chip it off. If covers and such can be removed, and they are covered heavily, I leave them in a bucket of gasoline.

I got into some really sticky stuff lately. I found wiping the case fronts, spikes, etc once every couple of tanks or so with WD-40 or silicone spray really helps keeping it from setting up.

Did you pick up a West Coast import?

I am still meaning to pull that 3270 spike off and get you a template. I haven't forgotten.

It's on the front of that Craftsman 3700 I bought. Messy stuff. No rush on the spike.
I put some seals in an old 70cc MAC 5-10A today. They were so hard It was difficult to tell where the rubber started and the steel ended. Seems to be running OK now.

Weird weather here but no disasters. Hot one day and cold the next. None of the leaves are turning colour except the locust trees They are just hanging on and turning brown.
I'm toying with the idea of welding up an H&S type spike when I get a chance.

Try a UXL bar on your 3200. You'll have to cam the bar on and put some kind of shim in the front of the slot so you can tighten the chain but it fits fine with spring spacers, lets the oil through and will let you run a longer bar.

Your girls are looking great. My oldest grand daughter turns 4 tomorrow. Only one baby left now.

I think I finally found an alternate for the 4200 seals that will work fine and the fit up should be like the OEM seal. I still have to put seals in the 4200 so I will order a couple and try them out next time I buy some seals. I hope I can source Dichtomatik seals here.

Here is a pic . Sounds right .
View attachment 607063

That's a flex loc or flex top nut, but a LH pitch on the flywheel FW side is rare. Seen those LH flex nuts used on some Polaris ATVs though.

I think Homelite 150's & then some Pioneers used a LH thread pitch on a the flywheel side?

The Poulan 361 uses a flex loc nut on the clutch side, but it was an uncommon pitch for the clutch side, being a RH thread!

Then the clutch itself was LH pitch as usual. You have to wonder how many stripped nuts or crank snouts came from that set up...first time off anyways.

If you can't find one locally, or through McMaster-Carr, just use a standard 3/8-24 LH nut, blue loctite & a serrated lock washer and it will hold up fine.

That's a flex loc or flex top nut, but a LH pitch on the flywheel FW side is rare. Seen those LH flex nuts used on some Polaris ATVs though.

I think Homelite 150's & then some Pioneers used a LH thread pitch on a the flywheel side?

The Poulan 361 uses a flex loc nut on the clutch side, but it was an uncommon pitch for the clutch side, being a RH thread!

Then the clutch itself was LH pitch as usual. You have to wonder how many stripped nuts or crank snouts came from that set up...first time off anyways.

If you can't find one locally, or through McMaster-Carr, just use a standard 3/8-24 LH nut, blue loctite & a serrated lock washer and it will hold up fine.

That is how this pioneer is LH on flywheel RH on clutch. Thanks to all on the nut ideas , I can make this work.

Been a long while since I ran an 850, they have a ton of pulling power, a 60" bar was childs play to them even in hardwood. Good looking specimen you have there Brian.

Thanks. l am eagar to get it fired up . Never owned one before. Got to get these other projects l have started completed first. thanks for sharing your expierences with this beast of a Saw.

The RA and both 650s have cracked shrouds. Would like a fix haha
I have successfully repaired a good many shrouds with aluminum pound rivets and backup aluminum plates shaped to fit. Even aluminum pop rivets will do a good enough job, the extra short length ones work best and even the ends can be preened down if it affects a clearance issue with the cylinder or covers.

Back