Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I paid $200. He is selling off a relatives hoard. Guy bought anything he could and just put it all in buildings. He told me he still has hundreds of saws. Even said he has some nos from buisness closings . Then his wife said "we have some really big saws too" I guess the 600 was a little one ! I'm sure I will be buying from him again.

Back to this ... I spoke with Glen at Oregon technical , he was the man for the job . He looked in old info and found me a close solution to this clutch problem . I found one online with the rim $16 to me. ( oregon 17344 fits jonesred and some homelite) it looks like a little trim on the crank and bob will be my uncle.

Tom

IMG_1535.JPG

Agreed , but I only have to trim .008 off dia. where the bearing sits . I wont cut anything till I have all the parts in hand . Ill decide then. The original is 5/8 so plenty of meat left. The threaded part is 9/16-18 LH.

That 'journal' may be surface hardened and 0.008" could remove that hard skin IF you can even cut through it. Best of luck eh! Challenges are fun with these ole girls.

I met with the guy about the pioneer 600 and we made a deal for 3 saws. The 600 poped off with a prime so thats good . Compression feels good, really old gas in it. The 20" hard nose and chain are shot The clutch was stuck (or so I thought). I took it off and noticed no springs and this washer in between the drum and clutch .When the nut is tight the clutch/drum are bound together. What should it look like?
Tom

View attachment 613436 View attachment 613435

The washer is not original or needed. that is the early clutch used and was replaced with a service clutch assy #470789 that used a inner plate and outer plate inside the clutch drum.
Your 600 needs the 425015 inside sprocket washer installed first, sprocket assy and then clutch. your 3 missing clutch springs are # 425012

Thanks for the info beavers, do you have a pic of the springs installed? Saw came with a Oregon drum # 66758 8 tooth 375 spur . I bought a Oregon 16226 drum 7 tooth standard rim . Should accept a 404 or 375 . As for the washers , if I cant find... measure and create from blue spring steel?

Back