Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks really nice Paul. I think I'm ready to paint the filter tops on mine now.

The shiny finish wasn't for me so it had to go. I roughed it up with some steel wool, cleaned it real well, and shot it with a rattle can of flat grey. I did another one in black for the 51. A couple of coats each and so far the paint is holding up just fine.

The filter setup is really nice with the dry dusty wood I cut. I haven't had any dust or debris in the intake/carb like I did with the stock flocked filters.

The shiny finish wasn't for me so it had to go. I roughed it up with some steel wool, cleaned it real well, and shot it with a rattle can of flat grey. I did another one in black for the 51. A couple of coats each and so far the paint is holding up just fine.

The filter setup is really nice with the dry dusty wood I cut. I haven't had any dust or debris in the intake/carb like I did with the stock flocked filters.
It's a way better set up than stock for sure. The dust and debris seemed to always get by the stock filters, but not a chance with the K&N filters. I haven't done any timed cuts, but I would bet there is more power with the v stack and K&N set up.

Couple questions for the 600A . I had 135 psi on this parts saw . What is a new 600A saw psi? Is it worth finding rings and honing? If so where to buy rings ?
IMO, 135 psi is great on an old saw of that vintage. Unless you have your heart set on really fixing her up (provided the piston and cylinder is in good shape) maybe run it and see if it cuts well.
135 was all I have on my RA and two 650s and they run fine with lots of power.
Make some sawdust eh :)

Couple questions for the 600A . I had 135 psi on this parts saw . What is a new 600A saw psi? Is it worth finding rings and honing? If so where to buy rings ?

Not likely more than 145 psi. My NOS P&C set with new rings pushed 142 psi brand new with no run or break in time.

View attachment 624378
Well I ended up getting it to start/idle/run good. I’m not sure if it’s right tho... had to turn the low side out 2 1/8 turns. Everywhere I ready said it should be 1 1/4 out. Should I chase an issue or leave it and get to cuttin?!

This is a 3071 late by the way.

Any chance that carb has the additional idle air-inject screw? I haven't been following the posts too closely, so I may have missed details. I know @fossil ran into that setup on a 3200 last fall. Bigger saw and I haven't seen a 3071 carb setup before. If it is a standard HS variation and the metering lever/needle, diaphragms are functioning properly, 2 1/8 is really rich.

Any chance that carb has the additional idle air-inject screw? I haven't been following the posts too closely, so I may have missed details. I know @fossil ran into that setup on a 3200 last fall. Bigger saw and I haven't seen a 3071 carb setup before. If it is a standard HS variation and the metering lever/needle, diaphragms are functioning properly, 2 1/8 is really rich.
No air inject. Just a standard HS I believe. It does seem awfully rich. But it’s the only way it’ll idle/run. Maybe someone has the wrong needle in it ?

No air inject. Just a standard HS I believe. It does seem awfully rich. But it’s the only way it’ll idle/run. Maybe someone has the wrong needle in it ?
I would guess that the low needle needs to be out that far is a stiff pump diaphragm. I would put a carb kit in it and go from there.

Carb kit has been done. Prolly been threw it 8 times. Thanks for the help tho.

I've had three HS carbs on well used saws that had worn out throttle shafts which caused them to run very rich when tuned. If the shaft has radial play it will have a different tune between idle and full open. The shafts don't wear in a concentric way so they leak more air in one position than another.

Anyone tried this ? Its 1-1/4 by 6 ' (ad says 6 ") gel tape . I know the idea is out there. It's only $10 and what makes me think it wont last . Ace hardware websight. Any recommendations?

I bought some of that at Ace and put it on the handles on my Granberg mill. It's been in there a couple of years but has been stored in the garage and hasn't seen that much use. So far I'm happy with it.

My guess is you're thinking of putting it on a saw handle? I think it will last ok but it's not near as tough as the factory wrap material. More comfortable but not as tough.

View attachment 624462

Latest posts

Back