Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The White one is 431484 listed as correct for P60, The Blue one is ? and 475259 listed as correct for the P61. The two coils be swapped . l have found Blue coil some but not all model P-50 p51, P61 Saws. Both are Prestolite coils.
Maybe one colour sub over to the other for some reason, l do not know much more about it.

The 2 Saws in Pic are P61,s and those are the coils that were on the saws, l have no idea if they are original ones.

Can anybody add to the mystery topic?
I believe the early p61's still got the white coils. I'm not sure if there is any difference besides color though.

l was thinking the late model p61 with the Top mounted foil Model tag had the Blue coil. l do not beleive their is other differnces between the two.
Seems to be no consistency really lol. Mine has the foil tag on top, and the white coil. They were good as using up what they had before moving on to the newer stuff though.

Yea it seems to make cence because they would want to use up old stock first before switching . l do not have all the service bulletin for that period of manufacturing but would like to think that possibly or maybe their is a service bulletin pertaining to the color change

Yea it seems to make cence because they would want to use up old stock first before switching . l do not have all the service bulletin for that period of manufacturing but would like to think that possibly or maybe their is a service bulletin pertaining to the color change
I would think there probably was a bulletin. It would be cool of you can find it. Any and all info on these saws is cool imo.

I've had six different P-series pioneers now, and five of them said chain brake on the tag but none of them had a brake. Were the brakes that bad people didnt want to deal with them or was that like a dealer option that most dealers didn't install on the saw?

I've had six different P-series pioneers now, and five of them said chain brake on the tag but none of them had a brake. Were the brakes that bad people didnt want to deal with them or was that like a dealer option that most dealers didn't install on the saw?
Just speculation, but I believe it's because the brake makes it harder to add fuel and oil. For professional loggers time was money.

Just speculation, but I believe it's because the brake makes it harder to add fuel and oil. For professional loggers time was money.

It's all speculation. You could be right. Cookie could be right about gutting them too. Just seems like I rarely see a pioneer with a brake. These two p42's were just home owner saws. I find it strange the owner took the brakes off. Certainly could have though.

I actually grew up during the Pioneer era running saws almost every day. As was already posted, most brakes were removed by the owners, often on the first day of ownership. These saws came along at a time when most users/ buyers of PRO saws had been running saws that never had chain brakes, many woods workers I knew personally did not like having the brake handle in their way, snagging on brush and limbs. In the way of filling the gas and oil tank etc so the handles were pulled, some left the inner guts but many took it all off to make the saws lighter. I can`t say I ever seen a Pioneer Pro saw sold that the dealer removed the brake but many full time operators did. One has to remember also that the Pioneer Pro saws were mostly bought and owned by full time woods workers, they were expensive in their time making them less likely to be owned by Joe homeowner for light duty work, that is where the smaller P series saws filled in the gap, P20, 26 and P28 comes to mind.

Back