Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hay guys I have been to this site may times and tons of good info. I just finally signed up today because I finally have a question that I cannot find the answer too. So I acquired many many Pioneer power-heads and parts. Enough parts to built multiple saws from scratch, so thats what im doing. Anyway im building a NOS P60 and the only part that is not in the collection is a flywheel and a mag. I do have the flywheel and mag for PP655. First question is will that work? Ill need to file down where the mag mounts because the flywheel right now is a little big. I want to keep this as NOS as possible and so far its happening. Also being new I dont know if it is appropriate to put this here. If im screwing up please let me know. Thanks
Welcome to the site. The 655 flywheel is to big, and the wrong set up for a p60. The ignition will not fit either. Sorry for the bad news. The flywheel will be pretty easy to find, but the coils for that series of saws are pretty rare. Some have had some luck with the Husky 372 coils though. It was discussed a page or two back.

Sorry I meant to post that. The set I have are not at all the right size. They won’t even fit into the slots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry but I don’t have those #’s, I have several others though, wondering if any of them supersede

Another service bulletin
13936a560abd473b42f0299f8d8eb6ed.jpg

Welcome to the site. The 655 flywheel is to big, and the wrong set up for a p60. The ignition will not fit either. Sorry for the bad news. The flywheel will be pretty easy to find, but the coils for that series of saws are pretty rare. Some have had some luck with the Husky 372 coils though. It was discussed a page or two back.
There is a couple of coils in the set that are not marked. They look like the one in the parts breakdown. I also thought i read somewhere that there is Homelite coil that will work. There is 2 NOS Homelite coils with the parts.

That coil looks like a Prestolite big brother of what's on my FarmSaw. The FarmSaw coil can often be baked to return it to service (there is a lot of discussion in earlier posts). Might be worth a try for yours too.

Well my rebuilt carb for my PP 455 doesn't seem to be pumping any fuel. Checked everything twice and it's definitely put together right, Wonder if something inside like a check valve is shot. Since Walbro doesn't make WJ carbs anymore, and doesn't even publish a service manual for them, is there an alternative? I read somewhere folks are using Tillotson carbs in place of WJ's on big Stihls, could I use one of them instead?

Well my rebuilt carb for my PP 455 doesn't seem to be pumping any fuel. Checked everything twice and it's definitely put together right, Wonder if something inside like a check valve is shot. Since Walbro doesn't make WJ carbs anymore, and doesn't even publish a service manual for them, is there an alternative? I read somewhere folks are using Tillotson carbs in place of WJ's on big Stihls, could I use one of them instead?

What carburetor do you have? WJ-?
Walbro site does show them still but obsolete
I just rebuilt a WJ-20 & WJ-9 today
a7308bd3f78a79ab80552e141619b9fd.jpg

They run great with a Walbro sdc 80 or 53.

Did you hook the metering Diaphragm on the lever? New fuel filter? Etc line

Yes, new line and filter, and double checked the hook on the diaphragm. It makes sparks and will pop with a shot of carb cleaner, so definitely a fuel problem.

Yes, new line and filter, and double checked the hook on the diaphragm. It makes sparks and will pop with a shot of carb cleaner, so definitely a fuel problem.

So nothing coming up fuel line at all? Carb is completely empty of fuel when you disassemble after trying to start?

Back