Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first post on this site, sorry about my pictures getting ahead of my text. I just wanted to share a couple of pictures of a Pioneer 2270 that I picked up this weekend. The gentleman that I bought it from said it hasn’t been used since the late 70’s.
Pokey

That's in beautiful condition. You don't see many with that much paint surviving.

Here's the P41H I bought a couple of weeks ago from a local on line auction. I checked it out at the pre-auction viewing and it was dirty but cosmetically nice and all there but had low compression. I figured I'd buy it for parts if it went really cheap. I won it.

I checked the P&C and they both looked really good so I put a little oil in the cylinder and it read 180 psi. I did run it a bit after renewing a few things and found it had an air leak but enough run time to clear the oil from the cylinder and comps at 175 now.

Sometimes you get lucky.

DSCF4112.JPG DSCF4113.JPG DSCF4114.JPG DSCF4115.JPG

Anyone have a photo of a clutch puller on a pioneer 600 series saw?
I think I will have to make one.
Thanks

Pioneer factory clutch puller but any piece of plate with a center bolt and holes or slots for the attachment bolts will work, I have a slew of them made from 1/4" plate and 3/8" center bolts.
155175591_pioneer-chainsaw-flywheel-clutch-puller-set-stbx776.jpg

Pioneer factory clutch puller but any piece of plate with a center bolt and holes or slots for the attachment bolts will work, I have a slew of them made from 1/4" plate and 3/8" center bolts.
155175591_pioneer-chainsaw-flywheel-clutch-puller-set-stbx776.jpg

Any idea how much heat I should put to the flywheel on that P41 to get it off?
My propane torch get's the flywheel to about 320 deg F. I can switch to MAP gas and go higher.

My propane torch get's the flywheel to about 320 deg F. I can switch to MAP gas and go higher.
The last one I did I had a puller with tension on it, and heat from a propane torch. After a good amount of heat and some mild taps it gave way. Hopefully it doesn't fight you too much more.

320 should be plenty of heat, its the shock from a correctly applied strike on the puller bolt from the hammer that jars the flywheel loose. It does take a goodly amount of torque on the puller bolt, the 1/4" plate will begin to begin to bend but the flywheel will pop off unless its rusted in place. I made a much more robust puller for those.

320 should be plenty of heat, its the shock from a correctly applied strike on the puller bolt from the hammer that jars the flywheel loose. It does take a goodly amount of torque on the puller bolt, the 1/4" plate will begin to begin to bend but the flywheel will pop off unless its rusted in place. I made a much more robust puller for those.
After torquing the puller down by hand I have found that a 3/8 battery impact driver has worked on stubborn flywheels.
Pokey

Just picked up a 11-60. What can you guys tell me about it?

In many ways very similar to a Homelite XL-12 but the 11-60 has an auto oiler as well as a manual oiler. 58cc.

Good power and fairly quiet considering the vintage if the diffuser is still in the muffler.

If you look at the very first post in this stickie you will find a mediafire link (in the signature area) that will contain the IPL and repair manual for the 11-60 and many more Pioneer models.

I have been using a 18 volt and 20 impact on saws since they came on the market, one just has to know when enough is enough. The sharp strike of a hammer on the puller bolt head has removed every flywheel I have ever removed from saws dating back to 1945 on up to current saw models. I have read where others have had difficulty but that has not been my own personal experience.

I have mine cranked down as hard as an air powered butterfly impact gun will go. No luck yet. The puller is a forged steel steering wheel puller. I'm reluctant to go any tighter. No deflection on the puller. My other P41 was a tough one as well. I gave it some time and it finally popped loose.
I'm going to try some ammonia on it tomorrow. I've had good luck with that if there's any rust present.

Puller similar to this one.

puller.jpg

Back