Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only difference is the cylinder and piston. The rest is all the same. So yep you would be good to go. A p51 is a damn good running saw though with some mods.
What could I do for mods at home.
It would be fun to make one a hot saw. If I have to buy just a crank to get the 3rd saw it may stay a 51, but if I need a cylinder and piston that might change the cubes.
Sounds like a fun project.

IMG_0889.JPG
You don't come across a p51 western very often at all. I would definitely build that one as a true p51.
I will keep that one as a western.
It needs the crankshaft replaced, it will be a complete rebuild.
I will be separating 2 cases so I can get the western saw built onto the original case.
The western cases are the ones with no cylinder.
Pistons in three look good, no compression tests yet, all had spark.
Got them all from a retired logger he had them since new said they were great saws. 2 of them were running a year ago.

View attachment 766136
I will keep that one as a western.
It needs the crankshaft replaced, it will be a complete rebuild.
I will be separating 2 cases so I can get the western saw built onto the original case.
The western cases are the ones with no cylinder.
Pistons in three look good, no compression tests yet, all had spark.
Got them all from a retired logger he had them since new said they were great saws. 2 of them were running a year ago.
Good news on them all having spark.

What could I do for mods at home.
It would be fun to make one a hot saw. If I have to buy just a crank to get the 3rd saw it may stay a 51, but if I need a cylinder and piston that might change the cubes.
Sounds like a fun project.
Are you comfortable with a little bit of grinding? A velocity stack and some grinding on the exhaust port brings good gains. A timing advance also helps. Sometimes there is room for base gasket delete as well.

Are you comfortable with a little bit of grinding? A velocity stack and some grinding on the exhaust port brings good gains. A timing advance also helps. Sometimes there is room for base gasket delete as well.
I have a small grinder, I could do some grinding, how much larger can you open up exhaust ports? Be interesting to build one up a bit.
I will work on getting the cases apart next.

I have a small grinder, I could do some grinding, how much larger can you open up exhaust ports? Be interesting to build one up a bit.
I will work on getting the cases apart next.
Sorry forgot it was my sister's birthday, so haven't made it home yet. I will do it later tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry forgot it was my sister's birthday, so haven't made it home yet. I will do it later tonight or tomorrow.
Not a problem, I have lots to keep me busy.
Off hand do you know what type of head and size for the screws holding the cylinder to the crankcase.
I have one set of cases apart, ordering some bearings and seals tomorrow.

Off hand do you know what type of head and size for the screws holding the cylinder to the crankcase.
3/16 Allen head, and don't remember the length or pitch at the moment. Should have pics shortly.

Okay some pics. I put a picture of a stock cylinder in there for a future project. I left the transfers alone in that cylinder, and it was still a good runner.IMG_20191016_190126.jpg IMG_20191016_190205.jpg IMG_20191016_190134.jpg

I’m into another pioneer but now a 650. I ported the cylinder and muffler. I also have a carb kit and new rings coming for it. I am not going to paint this one, leave the patina. I am looking for 24” bar if anyone out there would ship it to Alberta Canada. I also redid a pioneer 1200a with a port job and carb kit. I am new to modding and restoring chainsaws so any info you think I might need to know please let me know.

Attachments

• B6D6ADA7-348C-4C47-889D-50B2A5742C7B.jpeg
    B6D6ADA7-348C-4C47-889D-50B2A5742C7B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 4D482F44-32BA-4E3D-9D88-D4330AB58AB6.jpeg
    4D482F44-32BA-4E3D-9D88-D4330AB58AB6.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
Back