Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my new Reed block assembly from Rottman. I didn't know it was going to be complete with new reed, as in assembly.

New Boyesen 2 stage reed should be here tomorrow.

Fun times.

Loosen the screws and adjust the Reed to center it. My new assembly has a much shorter stop piece and that has a lot higher lift bent into it to allow the Reed to open further.

Off-topic, please forgive me.
@ Screwbolts;
Is that an RC or string control aircraft in your signature?
If not and you need some advice about your instrumentation I can probably answer your questions.
Aircraft Avionics Instrument Systems Technician with 28 weeks of technical school, and retired with 20 years, 2 months, and 27 days on active duty.
If not for the draft I'd have missed something I loved doing, at least for the first 13 years (I was to report for induction 24 hours after I enlisted). I made E7 at 13 years; the AF takes away your toolbox at that rank. The last 7 were not enjoyable. I got very little feeling of accomplishment when a task was completed by a subordinate.
If you need anything aircraft-related I'll provide an e-mail address.

So the way it looked to me was maybe age that the reed wasn’t seated I haven’t messed with it yet but the old fibrrglass reed is tight to intake I’ll let you know how I make out. I might not keep the saw anyways if somebody is interested in a nice p42 complete with bar and decent chain I may end up selling it. Got to many partners lol

Lou, thank you for your service!!! I now wear a Cohklear implant to hear. They wouldn't take me because of my hearing.

"Off-topic, please forgive me.
@ Screwbolts;
Is that an RC or string control aircraft in your signature?"

Please forgive me, lol, no that is not an (singular) RC or string control aircraft. The Avitar photo is of 2 (two) giant scale RC Airplanes that are both mine. The P51, is done up as Bud Anderson''s "Old Crow" it is 96" span 31 lbs. And is very well motivated with a Stihl, 89cc 050 engine. Capable of 129 mph with current prop. I believe I have enjoyed it for 11 years. From Ziroli plans, both Nicks are good friends. The 108" 1/3 scale Fokker DVIII in the background is now 20 yrs old. At the time of the photo it had a 70cc McMinnerelli opposed boxer type twin. It used to weigh 32 pounds with that engine, I built it to prove the plans for a friend that was going to and for a time sell kits of it. The 70cc was the third engine I had in it. The first I cut out of a 65cc Remington chain saw. I still have that engine. Today the DVIII is on it''s second season after a total rebuild. It now weights 27 pounds and sports a semi -semetrical non scale airfoil of 114" wingspan . I built a new larger lighter wing and took a hole saw to the original fuselage sides. Also implemented carbon fiber were possible to save weight. After rebuild I put one of my 70cc , 4.2 Sachs singles in it for an all up weight of 26lbs 12oz. After test flying it last spring I decided it was a tad tail heavy and the 4.2 was way more than enough engine. So I put my 8 oz heavier 63cc Echo twin in it. Cut out of the echo 610 saw. Aftermarket electronic ignition, battery powered. It now flies perfectly and I love the sound of the echo twin. The echo was in it before when it was heavier . I believe this is my 41st year flying RC. I have many engines and planes.

I have an engine problem and am not seeking help.

If you watch my saw video and then go to my channel on YouTube you will find many videos of engines I have modified for myself and others along with test flights of the DVIII in its current American Airservice colors, pre Airforce. We tested two of them at McCook field after WWI. It is now , A.S. 947 as tested at McCook .

Screenshot_2020-02-21-18-40-07.png

And that is it last fall at, The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, going after toilet paper drooped from a 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup. During the 53 RC jamboree, I have flown in the last 39 of them. Doing the Delsey dive, like they do with full size there.

Screenshot_2020-02-21-18-42-19.png

Once again, thank you for your service!!!!

Ken

Kind words, thank you Pogo.

This is the full size of the Avatar

Screenshot_2020-02-21-19-29-56.png

Lol, I never noticed in this photo if you expand it and look at the red/cream colored airplane in the background. That is my 88" Taube, a WWI design that was an observation airplane. It looks like a bird in the air . Shape of the tail and wing .

Good morning, the sun is up and we are burning day light! Let's make some engine noise! !

Because I could, I did! With a new Reed block in hand I opened up the carb feed in the old Reed block to match the butterfly diameter of the Walbro, WJ46F3 carburator that was on the donner, Quadra, 75 RC engine. The Tillotson HS147 that came on the P41S has a smaller butterfly. .748 verses .812 . I also used JB to seal the cracks in the old Reed block. Using a small screwdriver I worked the JB into the cracks until it showed at the gasket service and up to the brass bosses for the screws. I worked the JB across the cracks repeatedly, very much like you would work grease to hand pack a wheel bearing.

Screenshot_2020-02-22-07-02-24.png

Next I assembled the it with the old Reed and the new Reed blocks limiter . The new limiter will allow the Reed to open nearly twice as far. The new limiter is also shorter. The old limiter was shiny from the Reed hitting it full open.

Screenshot_2020-02-22-07-02-04.png

I am currently resembling the saw with the hybrid old block and my opened up HS147. I will make some test cuts with it and then do the same with the Walbro WJ carb.

My Boyesen reeds won't be here until this afternoon if they make it today.

Let's make some noise and saw dust.

So the way it looked to me was maybe age that the reed wasn’t seated I haven’t messed with it yet but the old fibrrglass reed is tight to intake I’ll let you know how I make out. I might not keep the saw anyways if somebody is interested in a nice p42 complete with bar and decent chain I may end up selling it. Got to many partners lol

Old Partner, my P41S had metal reed, and new block came with metal. Does your saw have a single fiberglass Reed or the 2 stage, 1 smaller thinner on top of a larger thicker reed? The large thicker is open in the center .

The P41S started the second pull after reassembled, :) got to fix some breakfast for company we have, I think they might be awake now. Lol it sounds awesome, will make some sawdust after i fix breakfast . Lol

Day lights a burning!

Test run #1 complete. I now know that the old Reed block had been leaking some threw the cracks around the brass bosses, the idle is now the same hot or cold.

This run is with my opened up Tillotson HS147D carb. Butterfly size .748" . I do believe that it is running stronger now that I have JB fixed the intake leaks and opened the Reed block to .812 same as the Waldron WJ carb butterfly.

I had made 4 cuts before this video and didn't realize I had stopped the recording and didn't record any of it. Never adjust phone angle after start record, you may shut record off was learned, after getting undressed back in shop. Lol.

It is 20F here this morning

Run #2 , is in the books, rebuilt the Walbro, WJ46 CARB, made a new idle speed screw, it was missing. We seldom leave them in or carbs on rc planes, that allows us to shut the engine down with throttle trim settings if we need to kill it in the air. I cut a taper on the head of an aluminum 5mm socket head screw to make the new idle speed screw. Glad I had an aluminum screw.

I believe it is running stronger, the amount of chips being recycled back into the cut is greater. It sounds great to my ears.

After I origonaly test run this top end some time ago, I cut a louver in the muffler cover above to origonal tube outlet to allow it to breath better, the baffle is still in the muffler and has been opened up via a uni bit.

The new Boyesen 2 stage power reeds are already installed, heading to the pile for , run 3 today.

That beech isn’t helping the video any it’s like rock. Nice saw. Only ever cut beech once and I couldn’t pick up the billets super dense heavy wood thanks for sharing that love seeing them.

Screw bolts my saw came with single fiberglass reed which showed very little daylight the new one is metal and is not seated I haven’t tried flipping it yet but as is the fiberglass reed is definitely tighter. That said r the western series more desirable is there a distinct diff in power I sure do like that partner yellow but I have never seen one in person. I know mine has a small crack at the antivibe underneath the saw bottom looks like a real weak point in the design. I’d assume so after looking at the way there engineered. I like all saws but these r growing on me for some reason. Ppl say they got a new saw and show me a picture of a brand new one. When I say I got something new it usually is from the late 70’s and covered in oil. chaha I guess to each his own.

Screw bolts my saw came with single fiberglass reed which showed very little daylight the new one is metal and is not seated I haven’t tried flipping it yet but as is the fiberglass reed is definitely tighter

How does the reed cage/limiter compare between them, my original was vastly different from the replacement as shown in the photo.

Latest posts

Back