Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run #3 is in the books, 2 stage Reed did make a difference for the better. I had to open the carb needles more to feed this setup. In the video I am running slightly open further on LS and 1/8 more on HS. After doing video I ended up opening LS another 1/8 and HS another 1/4. To get the color I wanted to the plug and exhaust baffle. It was actually running a little lean in the video. With the Boyesen reeds It needs a richer setting of the needles. I am very happy with this setup. It was 24 F, when I went back in the shop, beautiful day to make engine noises.

I need to touch up the chain now, I used nearly 2 tanks of fuel running these tests. Fun times with a great running saw.

@ Screwbolts;
Why aren't you wearing ear protection?
I live with a running jet engine between my ears 24/7... That's not something I'd wish on anyone.
Please wear proper protection.
I also have chainsaw chaps... they would have prevented ALL my nibbles. They don't stop a one unless worn!

Lou, I do actually have earplugs in both my ears. That's also a cochlear implant on my left side. They found my hearing imparment when i was in third grade, and that was many moons ago, I believe in 62. I still use ear plugs for test runs. Days I am running saws alot, I leave the cochlear on the shelf and use ear plugs and muffs. I do try to save/protect what little hearing I have left.

I have yet to be nibbled. And thanks for the concern, maybe I have just been lucky.

14 of my 20-year career was in the desert (Arizona (F-4Cs) and New Mexico (AT-38Bs I flew one of these for a little while on an incentive flight)). Earmuffs are extremely uncomfortable there, the sweat runs in rivers down your neck.
It was a firework after I retired that caused my tinnitus. Not wearing ear protection when it happened was my fault. I own earmuffs and still have the earplugs I wore in the desert. I use one of them EVERY TIME I operate any small gas driven engine. I recommend all that visit here do the same.

I too prefer earplugs, even now in Washington State I still prefer plugs unless it's unseasonably cold.

My FarmSaw with a 20" bar is nose heavy (even worse with 24"es). I got in the habit of one handing it, when not cutting. and placing the flat of the nose against my left thigh. Every pair of jeans I owned when operating it had a few cut threads above the left knee. My Husquvarna isn't awkwardly heavy in the nose (even with the 24" bar on). I think it is slow for the chain to stop rotating and that's when I get nibbled. My chainsaw chaps have been bitten once or twice too. I'm trying hard to remember to forget that habit.
Lou

This is a photo of what a Walbro looks like where a Tillotson has always resided.

Screenshot_2020-02-23-10-04-08.png

This is a shot of my ultra high tech, camara/phone holding device. A piece of Beech stuck in the snow with a double wide saw cut in the end. Crude but effective.

Screenshot_2020-02-23-10-02-59.png
Those are a set of deer tracks that passed threw the other night.

Good morning, the sun is up and we are burning day light! Let's make some engine noise! !

Because I could, I did! With a new Reed block in hand I opened up the carb feed in the old Reed block to match the butterfly diameter of the Walbro, WJ46F3 carburator that was on the donner, Quadra, 75 RC engine. The Tillotson HS147 that came on the P41S has a smaller butterfly. .748 verses .812 . I also used JB to seal the cracks in the old Reed block. Using a small screwdriver I worked the JB into the cracks until it showed at the gasket service and up to the brass bosses for the screws. I worked the JB across the cracks repeatedly, very much like you would work grease to hand pack a wheel bearing.

View attachment 800214

Next I assembled the it with the old Reed and the new Reed blocks limiter . The new limiter will allow the Reed to open nearly twice as far. The new limiter is also shorter. The old limiter was shiny from the Reed hitting it full open.

View attachment 800220

I am currently resembling the saw with the hybrid old block and my opened up HS147. I will make some test cuts with it and then do the same with the Walbro WJ carb.

My Boyesen reeds won't be here until this afternoon if they make it today.

Let's make some noise and saw dust.

Good job reaming out that reed block! I reamed out the one on my first Pioneer, a P51 when it was still new. Did a bunch of other stuff to it, as well. I've been reluctant to ream any more reed blocks, but maybe I should give it another go. I do wish those dang things had a bigger bore or I could make an alternative block work.

My wife finally got me to get hearing aids recently. And I continue to use both ear plugs and good ear muffins when I run my modified Pioneers. I love what I have and wouldn't want a new saw.

Yeah I think I’m gonna have to tear back apart and try old reed cage this new one has a good 32 nd to 1/16 gap the whole way around it and the carbs not responding to adjustment so I’ll try that first and then see I kinda feel like they should send me another one as bad as this one is. But maybe I’ve got other problems besides reeds.

The reeds need to be resting on the block for sure.

Could you photo your blocks new and old.

I seem to remember that your saw originally had a fiberglass reed.

Have you tried that reed on the new block?

You can fix/seal your old block as I did, I have my new reed block bagged and in the parts draw with both the steel reeds.

The reed surface of the block should show circular pattern of when the sealing surface was cut flat. Both of my blocks are flat and show no light.

Maybe the saw gods are trying to tell you to box up the saw and send it to me! :)

I do have an extra, brand new perfect block if you need to try one, It would be quicker for you to just JB Yours.

Or send me your old block and I will open it up as I did mine and JB it for you and return it for the ride both ways. 24 hr turn around.

But I still like the option of the hole saw the best. :)

Good job reaming out that reed block! I reamed out the one on my first Pioneer, a P51 when it was still new. Did a bunch of other stuff to it, as well. I've been reluctant to ream any more reed blocks, but maybe I should give it another go. I do wish those dang things had a bigger bore or I could make an alternative block work.

My wife finally got me to get hearing aids recently. And I continue to use both ear plugs and good ear muffins when I run my modified Pioneers. I love what I have and wouldn't want a new saw.

Thank you for the kind words!

Your P51 has a totally different reed setup than the smaller saws. Because you have a different set up, it looks like to my eyes when looking at the IPL that you may have room for a 4 reed pyramid setup like the Poulan 5000 series of saws use. the Homelite Super XL saws also used a 4 sided pyramid reed block. I have one of the Homelite units that I used on a 4 cube Remington engine of mine.

IronHorse recently posted videos of his hotroding a 51 or 52, he used the stock block and a thinned fiberglass reed with no limiter/cage to confine it.

Go for it! New blocks are available so go for broke!

Wanted to peek in and thank you all for the help when I was playing with the 3071.

I found a collector who was interested in it, hopefully he has some success bringing it back to glory. I just wasn't able to give it the love it deserved

Quite a collection that fella owned. needed to be seen to be believed.

Good luck to you all!

Hey you're back! Or maybe I just hadnt noticed you posting. Never heard how that saw turned out that I had machine done for you. Now a days I have my own lathe so if you need something done let me know. I hardly charge for the work. Just want to help guys out.

9B366D1D-4F5E-4D88-98BF-77891D4F6C36.jpeg 41CE2B29-D581-43E2-A318-68D6381169F4.png 3C1A75EC-8C4C-42F4-9F60-F164D43B9875.jpeg

Hi fellow Pioneer enthusiasts!
Been busy living lol
Found a neat bit of trivia in an old newspaper dated January 1959
An ad for the new powerful economical Pioneer RA! For the sum of $199.50 it would be yours.
Did a Google on Canadian wages back then and typical was $79/week so 2 and half weeks work for a chainsaw!!
Would translate to around $2500 in today's market! Ouch eh lol

Latest posts

Back