Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IEL pioneer hc.are torsional type piston rings common in the chainsaw world? I tracked down a set at Hastings piston and rings but not sure if they will be ok for subject saw. Comments would be appreciated.

Pics , does this help?

Attachments

• P62 W_001.JPG
    P62 W_001.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 20
  • P62 W_002.JPG
    P62 W_002.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 20
AII hail another non cell phone wierdo.
I am finishing up de-frankinin with the parts I have, thought I'd show this 655 before it goes down the road. It's really a Pioneer with a Poulan name. I was always a little embarrassed to admit using a saw linked to weedeaters.
If you Pioneer people are interested I have quite a few P60-655 parts that are destined for the trading post or eBay.
Otis B.
655 (1).jpg655 2 (1).jpg

What material is used for the plastic like sawdust deflector on 750 pioneer clutch cover. I'm going to have to replace one for this rebuild.
Any help would be appreciated.

riveted sawdust deflector
I used a flexible cutting board that had about the right amount of flexibility (got mine from a dollar store, but ikea sells them super cheap). Just cut it out and then gently riveted it with a hammer on the anvil.

Hey guys, I'm usually a Mac guy but I just got a P60 in pretty good shape, but has some previous owner damage that will require some parts. I need the clutch drum and bearing, as well as the three clutch shoes and spring. I also need a muffler and all the bolts, spacers, baffle, and gasket for it. If any of you guys know have any sources other than ebay, let me know! The good news is that other than that stuff, it cleaned up good. I replaced the recoil rope and good lord that spring in there took me forever to get back in! It's way longer than on a typical Mcculloch. Also, it was put away with no gas or oil in it, so no problems there. After cleaning and a temporary muffler install from a P41 that I had laying around, it fired up on the second pull!! It sounds pretty bad ass, revs up nice. I'll try to post up some pics from my phone.

Hey guys, I'm usually a Mac guy but I just got a P60 in pretty good shape, but has some previous owner damage that will require some parts. I need the clutch drum and bearing, as well as the three clutch shoes and spring. I also need a muffler and all the bolts, spacers, baffle, and gasket for it. If any of you guys know have any sources other than ebay, let me know! The good news is that other than that stuff, it cleaned up good. I replaced the recoil rope and good lord that spring in there took me forever to get back in! It's way longer than on a typical Mcculloch. Also, it was put away with no gas or oil in it, so no problems there. After cleaning and a temporary muffler install from a P41 that I had laying around, it fired up on the second pull!! It sounds pretty bad ass, revs up nice. I'll try to post up some pics from my phone.
Yes thats a pretty one, I have some parts you need mail me for details. Otis B.

Otis was kind enough to send along a black cover to replace the green filter cover on the P61 Western.

Chris B.View attachment 832388
Hey Chris,
Maybe you can learn me something. I have a P62 crankcase with JB weld inside the oil tank, there was oil in the gas tank. I have not split the cases on one of these saws, whats inside there to separate the tanks? And do you think the case halves are any good. Yer pal, Otis B.

Hey Chris,
Maybe you can learn me something. I have a P62 crankcase with JB weld inside the oil tank, there was oil in the gas tank. I have not split the cases on one of these saws, whats inside there to separate the tanks? And do you think the case halves are any good. Yer pal, Otis B.

Look in the tanks, at the very top, where they meet. You'll see an aluminum plate epoxied in place. The epoxy fails and the tanks mix. Do you have any already split crankcases for comparison? Sometimes you can fix it without disassembly but that is hit or miss. Hard to clean properly. Not Pioneer's best design but some of their other tanks rely on similar epoxying.

Look in the tanks, at the very top, where they meet. You'll see an aluminum plate epoxied in place. The epoxy fails and the tanks mix. Do you have any already split crankcases for comparison? Sometimes you can fix it without disassembly but that is hit or miss. Hard to clean properly. Not Pioneer's best design but some of their other tanks rely on similar epoxying.
Thanks Chris,
I'm thinking the cases are good then. And no split ones at home. I have been told to beat on the crank with a dead hammer to get them apart but that might be beyond my skill level

Thanks Chris,
I'm thinking the cases are good then. And no split ones at home. I have been told to beat on the crank with a dead hammer to get them apart but that might be beyond my skill level

A lighter touch might be more appropriate. Definitely heat around the bearing pockets.

You are only supposed to beat on old tractors.

Back