Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question reference the P52 cylinders.

Like Svlmustang, I was lucky enough to recently get my hands on a NOS P52 cylinder with the boost port.

I've been doing quite a bit of reading and can't determine if there was ever a BP style "windowed" style piston for the 52 BP cylinder like there is for the 655BP. The piston that came with the cylinder is not a windowed piston and the IPLs I've seen show the same piston for the P52 and the P52 Plus. I think the Plus version was the version with the boost port.

Does anyone know if a windowed piston was ever made for any of the 52 series of saws?

If there was one made, I'll be on the hunt for one. If there wasn't, then I will build the saw with the regular piston.

Thanks

Like Svlmustang, I was lucky enough to recently get my hands on a NOS P52 cylinder with the boost port.

I've been doing quite a bit of reading and can't determine if there was ever a BP style "windowed" style piston for the 52 BP cylinder like there is for the 655BP. The piston that came with the cylinder is not a windowed piston and the IPLs I've seen show the same piston for the P52 and the P52 Plus. I think the Plus version was the version with the boost port.

Does anyone know if a windowed piston was ever made for any of the 52 series of saws?

If there was one made, I'll be on the hunt for one. If there wasn't, then I will build the saw with the regular pi

If there was one made, I'll be on the hunt for one. If there wasn't, then I will build the saw with the regular piston.

Thanks
That is a good question. I have never seen the 52 bp piston. I also have a 52 bp cylinder. I don't remember what it came off of. Possibly a PP525 or a Target concrete saw. Whatever it was, i believe the piston was standard.

That is a good question. I have never seen the 52 bp piston. I also have a 52 bp cylinder. I don't remember what it came off of. Possibly a PP525 or a Target concrete saw. Whatever it was, i believe the piston was standard.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and great to see you're back on AS.

I've been looking and I still haven't located anything that shows the windowed piston for the 52. Im hoping one of the Guru's on here has a definitive answer.

I'm also thinking that someone with the right tools and skills could make one.

Man that would be a beast
Maybe. Remember that displacement isn't always everything. Put the 52 and 62 side by side, upside down. You will notice the 52 has more room on its transfers. The 62 looses some because of its bore size.
I've noticed, over the years that some saws had a little smaller displacement but the performance was almost the same. The 056 super was a good match for the mag.II and the 365 is almost as good as the 372. The 064 is quite a good saw and sometimes will stay with an 066. It does not always hold true but it sure isn't comparable to putting a corvette 327 into a nova that had a six from the factory.

Thanks
I will jump in here to give you guys a little history on these saws, I live in Ontario about 40 miles from the Huron Park factory and I grew up with Pioneer saws was running farm saws and P41, In 1984 pioneer came with the new P42 to P62 saws and there were painted the orginal yellow & green , I was looking for a stronger saw and my local Pioneer shop told me of a new updated P42 if I could wait a month he would get me one out of there special show shop but it would be a Pioneer Partner name and different shade of yellow, I said sure and he went on to tell me that these two company`s joined up, Pioneer was suffering bad and there toolling & moulds were in tough shape he said wore out , need some new money to make things better and they were starting with the P42 saw first since it was the most popular size, it would have new boost ported cylinder and reground piston and they would be made in the new Huron Park factory in London Ontario under EMAB, went in to pick it up and compared it to a P52 and it would cut circles around it, that saw is still going today never been apart and cuts like a scared cat. I was planning on buying a P62 at same time but in 1985 and 22% interest rates times were tough for us, the same local dealer told me they would be reworking all the saws in the next few years so in 1986 he told me the P52 was the next one because it really was a dog in his words and along came a P52 Plus with boost port cylinder special timed piston but no cut window on the piston, stronger piston pin and western muffler and SDC80 carb, tried it out and boy what a difference so ended up buying new one but really wanted a 100 cc saw but pioneer was having some issues with the P62 saw running hot , they came out with a new thicker cylinder which helped but that saw was pushing a lot of power and was hard on some internal parts so along comes P65 in 1987 with larger PTO bearing , boost port cylinder and much increased power, special ground piston but no window cut in piston. I have a P65 today but did not buy it new back in 1988. PIoneer Partner was still struggling money wise and the Electrolux company had been talking to them about selling and I think 88-89 deal was made and name changed to Poulan Pro and sold the pioneer saws as there professional line, they came in with new money and purchase all new moulds from Italy for cylinders and saws were really high quality. In 1989 I purchased one of the first year production Pro 655 , it came with a window cut in the piston, I was told that they were have a supply problem with the new piston & some saws would get the standard piston when they ran out of the latest ones and that`s why the BP decal was not on the saw at first. I ran my saw against a friend with same saw & bar in hard maple logs and we changed saws but could not see and difference in performance between the saws, I have heard others saw the same thing and I thing it likely is better but you can`t tell the difference, when you have a 36 inch bar in hardwood with the power and toque these saws have it is not for the faint of heart, its a handfull so I would not worry about a piston with the cut window, I have quite a few of these saws and still have all the new ones I purchased, I hope I did not bore you to much but there are not to many of us old guys left around. Thanks

I will jump in here to give you guys a little history on these saws, I live in Ontario about 40 miles from the Huron Park factory and I grew up with Pioneer saws was running farm saws and P41, In 1984 pioneer came with the new P42 to P62 saws and there were painted the orginal yellow & green , I was looking for a stronger saw and my local Pioneer shop told me of a new updated P42 if I could wait a month he would get me one out of there special show shop but it would be a Pioneer Partner name and different shade of yellow, I said sure and he went on to tell me that these two company`s joined up, Pioneer was suffering bad and there toolling & moulds were in tough shape he said wore out , need some new money to make things better and they were starting with the P42 saw first since it was the most popular size, it would have new boost ported cylinder and reground piston and they would be made in the new Huron Park factory in London Ontario under EMAB, went in to pick it up and compared it to a P52 and it would cut circles around it, that saw is still going today never been apart and cuts like a scared cat. I was planning on buying a P62 at same time but in 1985 and 22% interest rates times were tough for us, the same local dealer told me they would be reworking all the saws in the next few years so in 1986 he told me the P52 was the next one because it really was a dog in his words and along came a P52 Plus with boost port cylinder special timed piston but no cut window on the piston, stronger piston pin and western muffler and SDC80 carb, tried it out and boy what a difference so ended up buying new one but really wanted a 100 cc saw but pioneer was having some issues with the P62 saw running hot , they came out with a new thicker cylinder which helped but that saw was pushing a lot of power and was hard on some internal parts so along comes P65 in 1987 with larger PTO bearing , boost port cylinder and much increased power, special ground piston but no window cut in piston. I have a P65 today but did not buy it new back in 1988. PIoneer Partner was still struggling money wise and the Electrolux company had been talking to them about selling and I think 88-89 deal was made and name changed to Poulan Pro and sold the pioneer saws as there professional line, they came in with new money and purchase all new moulds from Italy for cylinders and saws were really high quality. In 1989 I purchased one of the first year production Pro 655 , it came with a window cut in the piston, I was told that they were have a supply problem with the new piston & some saws would get the standard piston when they ran out of the latest ones and that`s why the BP decal was not on the saw at first. I ran my saw against a friend with same saw & bar in hard maple logs and we changed saws but could not see and difference in performance between the saws, I have heard others saw the same thing and I thing it likely is better but you can`t tell the difference, when you have a 36 inch bar in hardwood with the power and toque these saws have it is not for the faint of heart, its a handfull so I would not worry about a piston with the cut window, I have quite a few of these saws and still have all the new ones I purchased, I hope I did not bore you to much but there are not to many of us old guys left around. Thanks
Thanks

Bore us? This is the info I live for. Thank You for your info. Over 10 years ago I acquired a couple P50's. Those saws are what brought me to this site. Now I have over 20 of the 5 and 6 cube P series. I could not agree more with the power the SDC 80 makes on the 6 cubes. My go to large saw is a 655 with a SDC80 I put on it. Mild porting, squish, Boyesen 2 stage reeds and Western muffler. It will make most ported 660's look like a joke. Pioneer was way ahead of there time.

I sure would like to have a walbro sdc80 carb. I got a nos p42 or poulan pro case today with the boost port cut out. Im not sure what I'm gonna do with it. Thank you for the info and story. I don't read much except for this forum

Here's a picture of my P65. They seem to be the rarest of the 6 cubes. My understanding is they just started producing these just before the buy out, then rebranding them the 655BP's.
View attachment 855445
Glad you guys like the information and yes I agree with the P65 being the rarest in my opinion, I have likely 35 P39 to pro 655 saws. I was friends with a lPioneer Partner area teck rep told me lots of story`s of the company and building of the saws. I have I think 8 I purchased brand new and worked them hard but I really cleaned them and took care of them, look almost brand new. I never saw a new P65 in Ontario, I`am sure there was some but just not around anymore, those WJ 38 carbs that are ungoverned is what came from factory on my Pro 655 saws and they work really good. I also enjoy the reading on this site. My first P42 is as strong as my Pro455 saws and I have like 6 of those and 2 P45 saws. Thanks

Thank you for all of the Pioneer history, thats very interesting info. I think most folks into saws like and respect the Pioneer design and the performance and it's too bad they weren't able to stay in business.

I'm looking forward to running this 52 with the boost port, i just need to make the time to build it.

Thanks

The 475398 pistons should be same for both non windowed. however the cyl's were different. the plus cyl would have the exhaust port bridge deleted, and dimensions altered on the exhaust port raised.
l am not sure whether the cyl was chromed or nikasil coated on your Bp though.
Any .Pics of your cyl ?

When I saw the wide flat spot on the outside of the cylinder opposite the exhaust port I remembered that the 655BP has the same configuration. I believe it was beefed up to accommodate the extra port. Seeing the inside of the cylinder confirmed it.
I think I saw somewhere that the Gilardoni stamp was an Italian company that made the BP cylinders for Poulan Pro.

When I saw the wide flat spot on the outside of the cylinder opposite the exhaust port I remembered that the 655BP has the same configuration. I believe it was beefed up to accommodate the extra port. Seeing the inside of the cylinder confirmed it.
I think I saw somewhere that the Gilardoni stamp was an Italian company that made the BP cylinders for Poulan Pro.

Paul your cyl does not appear to be chromed in the pic. is your Wrist pin closed end style. its hard to see if the wrist pin bearing is the newer higher load capacity one in the bag

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and great to see you're back on AS.

I've been looking and I still haven't located anything that shows the windowed piston for the 52. Im hoping one of the Guru's on here has a definitive answer.

I'm also thinking that someone with the right tools and skills could make one.

I'm working on one. Not sure if it will work well enough to make any difference.

Just got back from a trip to the Son Ranch near Grand Forks B.C. There's a lot of saws to look at, great people to visit and share their Knowlege. Mike Acres was there and gave me a good tour around, told me lots of history on different saw's. There's probably over a thousand saws there.
It was a wonderful day.
Check out Son Ranch they are on Facebook and the web.

Attachments

• IMG_2930.JPG
    IMG_2930.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2931.JPG
    IMG_2931.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2932.JPG
    IMG_2932.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2933.JPG
    IMG_2933.JPG