Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I have had both P42's for a couple of years now. Wouldn't might picking up a Poulan/Pro 455 some day. The last P42 I bought from an ice fisherman who complained that the saw would die cutting ice. Works perfectly fine in wood. I don't think it had many hours of use.

Ever since I first saw a P40, I've been impressed with the design of the P series saws. I have a P39, couple of P40s and a Poulan 655BP. One day I'd like to add a 50 series saw, but have yet to come across one. These are one of the few series of saws that I rank up there with my favorite Homelites. Here's some pics of the 655.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Dan

Pics of the P51 and P52. P52 has been completely rebuilt with new cylinder, piston, rings, bearings and seals. P51 had a new module put on a few years ago while they were still available. Have a new cylinder, piston and rings on the shelf as a backup if I need it some day for the P51.

Good pictures of your saws guy's and thanksfor sharing them.Now if I am starting to collect these Pioneer's and work on them I will need to buy some additional tool's like a flywheel puller, compression tester gauge, and some kind of instrument to measure electrical stuff on the saw. I don't like to buy junk tools but I don't want to take out a second mortgage for them.What brand do you guy's recommend for each of these tools? I have good quality socket sets,wrenches,screwdrivers,allen keys,drill press,electric drills,dental pics for those tight places to clean and lot's more.But I do need to get some chain saw specific tools. I would appreciate you chainsaw Guru's help.Especially the pioneer guys,but I guess chainsaw tools are chainsawtool's
Thanks Guy's

I bought my flywheel and crankcase puller from a Poulan dealer years ago. Part number is 507-475501. At the time it was only about $15. Don't know if you can still get it or not. It is a handy tool because it has the necessary pieces for pulling apart the crankcases for the P series saws. Other than that I don't have any of the other specialty tools. Most are probably not available any longer. You can pretty well take everything apart with normal tools.
Question for you guys whose pictures pop right up in the posting. How do you get them to open up on screen automatically?

Pioneer Pics

Well guys, here are a few photos of my collection. Sorry the resolution is so low, I had to turn it down to post. In there is a brand new 1074 that has never seen fuel or oil. The orange ones are a Pioneer/Partner P62 and a Poulan Pro 655, still Pioneer designed 98cc saws and later evolutions of the P60. I am looking now for a P60 in good shape as well as a P65. These big saws are smooth and powerful and are a pleasure to use. All of my saws have new mufflers, clutches and recoils except for the Farmsaw which I just got today and will sell to a friend for cutting wood once I repair the ignition. Also, I have enough parts tucked away for all of these to last a couple of more generations at least. It was quite a bit of work pulling all that iron down from high up off the shelves! My next project is to shoot a video of them all running at the same time. It should be a genuine symphony.

Last edited:
Pioneer saws big and small

Very nice collection propliner they look pristine.can not wait to get one of those bigger boys. Thanks of sharing.I have sent you a PM tonight
Petesoldsaw

Last edited:
please keep the chainsaw tool alive

Hi guy's
Please do not forget about chainsaw specific tools I will need like the ones I have asked about previous.I do not like to buy junk. also I will be making an attempt at sharpening a chain soon. what kind of rig for a newbie who makes the best files Nicholson.

Hi guy's
Please do not forget about chainsaw specific tools I will need like the ones I have asked about previous.I do not like to buy junk. also I will be making an attempt at sharpening a chain soon. what kind of rig for a newbie who makes the best files Nicholson.

If you are planning on doing more than a lot of wood cutting, I would strongly suggest on buying your self a bench chain grinder, instead of a filing outfit that mounts on your bar. I used an Oregon Filler for years, until I purchased my TecoMec FL136 Chain Grinding Machine, or an Oregon Grinding Machine. I bought mine 6 years ago, and cut in between 20 (80 face cord) to 40 bush cord(160 face cord) of fire wood a year. I have only used 1/4" of my
5 5/8" grinding wheel in 6 years and have sharpened a lot of chains, and others chains as well. Probably would have used 20 to 50 files in this time span. Also does a better job of sharpening as well. The only time that I will or ever use my Oregon Filler, is to measure down, and file 1 depth gauge, and Ill set the grinding machine to do the rest of the depth gauges.
Hope this helps. Bruce.

britarms

britarms

britarms

Here are some others on my shelf; IEL HM, RA, and Pioneer 1200A.

The IELs are nonrunners and the RA has a "custom" paint job; The 1200A runs fine.

Here's my well abused 600.

The handle bar has been rewelded & modified, and the HV coil is bad, so no spark. The saw still has plenty of compression.
I like the design of this saw but the clutch cover is quite vulnerable, not to say weak. Danarm UK manufactered a series of nice saws based on the early pioneers (110 auto & 125 auto).

pioneer600asmall.jpg

pioneer600bsmall.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my well abused 600.

The handle bar has been rewelded & modified, and the HV coil is bad, so no spark. The saw still has plenty of compression.
I like the design of this saw but the clutch cover is quite vulnerable, not to say weak. Danarm UK manufactered a series of nice saws based on the early pioneers (110 auto & 125 auto).

pioneer600asmall.jpg

pioneer600bsmall.jpg

Belgian,you could use a few parts to make that old Pioneer run. Are they hard to find over there? I could send you what you need but does it cost a lot to get them through what we call Customs duty over here?
Pioneerguy600

Belgian,you could use a few parts to make that old Pioneer run. Are they hard to find over there? I could send you what you need but does it cost a lot to get them through what we call Customs duty over here?
Pioneerguy600

Jerry, thanks very much for the offer. Old pioneers are quite difficult to find over here, not to mention parts. The Pioneer P series however are plenty around and are easy to collect. I am interested to have a coil, so check your pm. :cheers:

Keep those pictures coming guy's

Sorry guy's I can not seem to help myself here.I have talked to a few guy's off of Arboristsite about Pioneer chainsaws and next thing you know, they know someone who collects Pioneer's.It is either an Uncle or friend of a friend,and so on.I had no idea.The other day I put out some feeler's to a relative in cariboo country B.C. and already have some leads going ,hope they turn up something.Hope I'm not boring people here.
Take Care

Nice to see that Pioneer chainsaws still have a following and can generate this much interest. Most discussion and sharing to take place in a long time. Keep it up.

I know from an old logger that Stihl is a great saw company and a relative of mine builds log homes with Huskys,swears buy them,but I think we can give them a little run for the money with this talk about the Pioneers.Just making friendly jab's guy's.I am going to possibly overstep some boundary's here but I think Pioneerguy600 could use some help posting pictures of his saw's he said he was having some problem's. No offense Jerry!I have yet to post a picture yet and do not know how to myself.I want to share what little I have as well.There is a member in Florida that collects Pioneer's as well as other saw's ,I ran across his name last night but can not find it again loubecheck or something like that.If you know who I am reffering to please get him to post some Pioneer pictures.How is it thar some pictures need to be opened on a little X and others are right there when you see there post. Is there two ways of posting pictures? I will wait for comments
Lawrence

He posts under lesorubcheek. To post pictures go to" additional options" under this box and go to "attach files". Click on the window that says "manage attachments." A small window will pop up. Click" Browse" and find where you have your picture. Highlight that file and then click "upload". Your files will have to be downsized to 300KB or less in order to upload. I have a folder that I put my downsized pictures in. That way they are easy to find and upload. If you do not have a program for downsizing, then you can use outlook express to do so, and save the email picture to a folder. Photoshop elements can be used to downsize or most digital cameras come with software that should allow you to do the same. I asked the same question about some pictures popping up automatically, and have not received an answer, but I assume that these are being stored on a picture sharing site like photo bucket, etc.

Did I hear my name mentioned... Yea I posted a pic of our 655BP on the second page of this post. I don't have a large collection... only the 655, which I consider a Pioneer even though it says Poulan, and there's a P39 and 2 P40s.

If you want a picture that's uploaded to automatically display in the post, after its uploaded, click on the uploaded attachment. It'll open a window showing the pic. Copy the URL link that's shown on this page (highlight and CNTRL-c, or right click, copy). Then, back in you post, there's a button that says insert image. Click it and it'll open a window to insert the link to an image file.

attachment.php

Paste the link you copied here (Cntrl-v or right click and paste) and click OK and it'll insert an tag around the URL where the uploaded pic is stored. Select the Preview Post tab to see if it worked like ya wanted.

Dan

Latest posts

Back