Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beavers - you're an Artist!

(...roughly what vintage are those lovely saws?)

3270Super fuel line install, working on this project saw next, found it much easier to remove the reed block carb and primer system hardware to access hole in the block. the correct length of fuel line is 6 3/4" , 1/4od x 1/8"id.the bulk line l am using is 429836

Attachments

• NU 17 Restor_002.JPG
    NU 17 Restor_002.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 18
  • NU 17 Restor_001.JPG
    NU 17 Restor_001.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 18
Pioneer P51 Reed Valve Clearance

The reed valve in my P51 project saw sits 0.025" open. Is this within spec? (I did a search, and saw 0.010" spec'd for a diff brand saw)

(Speaking of specs, the disassembly/assembly manual I have has essentially zero specs. Is there some other Pioneer document that lists them (eg, piston/cyl clearance,etc)

Pioneer Paint: Yellow and Green?

Any suggestion on paint to match The Pioneer P51 Yellow and Green? Are there a paint codes for these colors?

(My thought is to use single stage 2K urethane, but like to hear any advice)

Model 400 Restor , produced in year 1959, the Full was optional item
Very interested in what you use for paint...
(I was hoping to leave my P51 as is, but the original paint comes off with a compressed air blow down. Doesn't look like any tie coat or primer was used)

Very interested in what you use for paint...
(I was hoping to leave my P51 as is, but the original paint comes off with a compressed air blow down. Doesn't look like any tie coat or primer was used)

The 400 model back then used a soft enamel and it was applied without a primer coat. my 400 was sprayed with a enamel and a hardner was added Primer was used prior to top coat. The paint colour was matched from original piece. Did not use rattle can.
The P51 saw you have would have been powder coated , much harder and used on the later P-series saws.
l used a single stage urethane on the model 3270S which l am currently working on and paint was colour match at auto paint outlet.
hope this helps you

The 400 model back then used a soft enamel and it was applied without a primer coat. my 400 was sprayed with a enamel and a hardner was added Primer was used prior to top coat. The paint colour was matched from original piece. Did not use rattle can.
The P51 saw you have would have been powder coated , much harder and used on the later P-series saws.
l used a single stage urethane on the model 3270S which l am currently working on and paint was colour match at auto paint outlet.
hope this helps you

Many thanks, Beavers!

Believe I will follow your steps and use single stage urethane. I'll underlay with an etching primer.
I painted an airplane (RV-9) for a friend a couple of years ago and used an industrial single stage urethane which cured extremely hard. I'll see if I can get a $$$ qt of that. My P51 powdercoat job must have been done on a New Years Monday morning...(maybe 1982?, per the case casting mark; sn is 336344938)

Sigh...My original quest for a cheap big saw is now but a Scotchman's dream...

(A devious friend just called about a Pioneer P28 for sale. Are they any good? Is this Pioneer fetish curable without professional care?)

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

This is my oldest IEL/Pioneer model AB made in Vancouver British Columbia in 1948 . It has been completely rebuilt with NOS pieces and meticulous stripped,cleaned and a three coat primer and automotive two part epoxy paint that is very durable and gasoline resistant. I will try to post a new set of picts each evening.
Pioneerguy600
Awesome saw. I just aquired an IEL Pioneer HM. I really need an instruction manual for it. Any idea where I can find one?

l suggest you get the hardner for that paint and a pint is more than enough for your Saw
Thanks - The paint I had planned to use is 2K PPG Delthane (single stage) urethane (AKA Delfleet), which uses an activator (AKA "hardner"). Its stupid expensive, so I'm open to suggestions (currently looking at Omni paint, which is PPG line also). Seems that single stage (ie, no clear coat needed) is getting hard to find...

Having said this, my experience with "Rustoleum" type paint, rattle can paint, and other single stage consumer paint has been poor, particularly for something that will be bathed in fuel and oil.

Looks like POR15 makes a prepackaged 2K product in "safety yellow" that might work...still expensive though; ~ $80 qt shipped USD. Getting hard for DIY'ers...

Latest posts

Back