Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up this pioneer 650 yesterday. Has a fine screen air filter and a flocked one underneath. Both are in bad shape, I found the fine screen one on eBay. The starter spring doesn’t retract all the way and the starter doesn’t grab the flywheel well. I plan to restore the saw early next year. View attachment 775978View attachment 775979View attachment 775980View attachment 775983View attachment 775982View attachment 775981

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whew! That ol' boy must have some stories to tell...

I picked up this pioneer 650 yesterday. Has a fine screen air filter and a flocked one underneath. Both are in bad shape, I found the fine screen one on eBay. The starter spring doesn’t retract all the way and the starter doesn’t grab the flywheel well. I plan to restore the saw early next year. View attachment 775978View attachment 775979View attachment 775980View attachment 775983View attachment 775982View attachment 775981

Pull it apart for a good cleaning to see what you have.
Starter pulley benefits greatly with some very shallow grooves milled into the is. Give the pawls something to grab. Starter spring might be dirty and or needs some added tension. Be a nice saw when running for sure!

Pull it apart for a good cleaning to see what you have.
Starter pulley benefits greatly with some very shallow grooves milled into the is. Give the pawls something to grab. Starter spring might be dirty and or needs some added tension. Be a nice saw when running for sure!

I will take it apart and go through it, thanks for the tip, I’ll remember that.

Got this saw from a friend the other day.
Just in time for the HOLIDAYIMG_1718.JPGIMG_1719.JPG
It sat in a shed for 25 years, whipped it off, took the muffler off, piston looked good no scoring.
Pulled the plug cleaned it and got got spark.
Put half a tank of gas in a clean tank a squirt in the carb it fired right up and runs good. Pretty loud.

Just in time for the HOLIDAYView attachment 777720View attachment 777721
It sat in a shed for 25 years, whipped it off, took the muffler off, piston looked good no scoring.
Put half a tank of gas in a clean tank a squirt in the carb it fired right up and runs good. Pretty loud.
Nice to find them with a clean tank.

Just in time for the HOLIDAYView attachment 777720View attachment 777721

You gotta Love those mufflers back in the Days gone buy

1972-73 Old school canadian muscle Saw, torquey 77cc, Peterborough made, 28" B&C, Restored, l put a lot of new parts into it . The 4 digit saws are not my favorite pioneers but l am happy with how this one turned out. lt is nicely balanced with the 28" Bar although it is heavy and will build Popeye Arms.

Attachments

• 3270S Pics_001.JPG
    3270S Pics_001.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 3270S Pics_002.JPG
    3270S Pics_002.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 3270S Pics_003.JPG
    3270S Pics_003.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 3270S Pics_004.JPG
    3270S Pics_004.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 3270S Pics_005.JPG
    3270S Pics_005.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 3270S Pics_006.JPG
    3270S Pics_006.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 23
1972-73 Old school canadian muscle Saw, torquey 77cc, Peterborough made, 28" B&C, Restored, l put a lot of new parts into it . The 4 digit saws are not my favorite pioneers but l am happy with how this one turned out. lt is nicely balanced with the 28" Bar although it is heavy and will build Popeye Arms.
Beautiful restoration work!
Is the handle chrome steel (or polished aluminum)?
I'm working to finish my P51 (barn find), and beginning to see the lineage and evolution of Pioneer saws...

Cyl Coatings used during Production. Did Pioneer replace the chrome with nikelsil during the 1983 sale or earlier. My limited knowledge believes some late production 1983 Pioneer P62 may not all be chrome coating on cyl.

Cyl Coatings used during Production. Did Pioneer replace the chrome with nikelsil during the 1983 sale or earlier. My limited knowledge believes some late production 1983 Pioneer P62 may not all be chrome coating on cyl.
Good question for sure. I thought they ran chrome till it ended with Poulan, but I'm probably way off lol.

Latest posts

Back