Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The production period for P51 was 1978-1980 year. My P51 saws all have Metal Data plate on underside case half mounted and are dated 1978 thru 1980. Built here in Peterborough. the Cyls are chrome plated. l am just thinking your saw maybe late 1980 only because of the Data and cyl coating.
Thanks, Beavers!
Funny - my P51 has casting dates of 81" (blower cover); "82" (engine case) and "83" (chain cover). Each date has some sort of hyroglyphics around it (month and week?). The (Walbro SDC) carb is marked "12 78", but I don't believe this is a date.
Funny that the Pioneer serial number sticker doesn't indicate manufacturing date (bit like some old motorcycles; no rhyme or reason?)

l have a Air filter cover Cover with the large decal on a Pioneer 52 saw which l believe Production period was late 1982.
ls your Air cover original?
Gosh - I really don't know the history of this saw. As you probably noticed, my air filter cover has a divot missing out of the lower right (which I smoothed out - same thing with hand guard). And, I'm not sure that the "81,82,83" casting marks are actually year dates - could be something else.
Not certain either about the cylinder. I'm about to restart my 1970 Moto Guzzi 750 Ambassador resto project, which has OEM chrome cylinder bores, These are being replaced with new Gilardoni Nikasil plated cylinders. My P51 Mahle cylinder looks much more like the Nikasil. It also is similar to the nikasil cylinders on chainsaws I've recently worked on (eg, 026 Stihl Mahle; 361 Stihl; 372XP Husky).

Sure like the P51 Pioneer. Beautifully made saw...

Alot was happing around 1983 period of production. the foil data id tag location was changed from the underside to top side of tank which did provide the year and location of build.
The Part # 431626 is correct that you provided in your recent pics.
l suspect your air filter cover is made of metal and the decal size was used as early as the P61 Saws , also some others.

Thanks, Beavers!
Funny - my P51 has casting dates of 81" (blower cover); "82" (engine case) and "83" (chain cover). Each date has some sort of hyroglyphics around it (month and week?). The (Walbro SDC) carb is marked "12 78", but I don't believe this is a date.
Funny that the Pioneer serial number sticker doesn't indicate manufacturing date (bit like some old motorcycles; no rhyme or reason?)

Those date codes are slugs they put in the die casting molds for molding dates. Handy for inventory control and ID for any issues in the field. They are pretty common in that format for die cast and plastic injection molds.

I do believe the 12 78 on the SDC is a date. I have never seen those markings that didn't look like a date.

As far as the sticker goes; I have never seen one like that. They were usually riveted onto the bottom of the case on the clutch side indicating the model as in P51H. serial number, and sometimes the date.

I can't make out the place of manufacture from the label. It's likely Peterborough or maybe Huron Park.

Nice paint job!

Those date codes are slugs they put in the die casting molds for molding dates. Handy for inventory control and ID for any issues in the field. They are pretty common in that format for die cast and plastic injection molds.

I do believe the 12 78 on the SDC is a date. I have never seen those markings that didn't look like a date.

As far as the sticker goes; I have never seen one like that. They were usually riveted onto the bottom of the case on the clutch side indicating the model as in P51H. serial number, and sometimes the date.

I can't make out the place of manufacture from the label. It's likely Peterborough or maybe Huron Park.

Nice paint job!
Thanks, All!
Wonderful fraternity, this. Yes; the filter cover is metal (magnesium casting?). The filter cover sticker does say Peterborough, Ont. The mod and sn sticker was by the oil/gas caps. I removed sticker before refinishing, but its so flimsy, probably won't try to reinstall. Metal/riveted tags are far better.
Yeah, this saw was just a filthy old lump given to me after church a few weeks ago. I accepted primarily out of courtesy, and slowly became intrigued with it - particularly as I cleaned it up.
Its only due to the kindness and advice of folks like you (and others on this lovely forum) that I was encouraged to find parts and finish it up. Big, big respect also for the folks at Pioneer Peterborough!

Gosh - I really don't know the history of this saw. As you probably noticed, my air filter cover has a divot missing out of the lower right (which I smoothed out - same thing with hand guard). And, I'm not sure that the "81,82,83" casting marks are actually year dates - could be something else.
Not certain either about the cylinder. I'm about to restart my 1970 Moto Guzzi 750 Ambassador resto project, which has OEM chrome cylinder bores, These are being replaced with new Gilardoni Nikasil plated cylinders. My P51 Mahle cylinder looks much more like the Nikasil. It also is similar to the nikasil cylinders on chainsaws I've recently worked on (eg, 026 Stihl Mahle; 361 Stihl; 372XP Husky).

Sure like the P51 Pioneer. Beautifully made saw...

guzzi pics? had 73 eldo 850 few yr ago.

IMG_0168.JPG

l agree with Tim the 12 78 is date code on Carb , if you were to look further the info on the Walbro SDC 53B is seen , you will have to remove
l never seen a P51 saw with that foil data plate on the saw. P52 yes.

I noted the carb numbers: "Walbro SDC 10-78 53B 21 - 85" (Yes - actually 10-78; not 12-78)
Not sure what the differences are between a P51 and P52? (My saw had a P51 decal on the blower housing; sticker on the clutch cover was damaged.)
Acres site seems to show pretty much same specs for P52 (though 40:1 fuel mix, vs 24:1, and "53D" Walbro, vs 53B).
I googled "P52" and found a P52 saw with sn 506 505633 (on a metal tag riveted to bottom of saw)

Appreciate your help with the sleuthing. This all came about as I had copied restoration pics to my old Dad (now 92) in San Diego, and he's now curious as to when it was built. We emigrated to Montreal (from UK) when I was 3, and then on to San Diego about 5 years later. Dad worked at Canadair, and loves all things Canada to this very day

l agree with Tim the 12 78 is date code on Carb , if you were to look further the info on the Walbro SDC 53B is seen , you will have to remove
l never seen a P51 saw with that foil data plate on the saw. P52 yes.
I have a P51 with the same type of ID

Attachments

• IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Currently in process is a Farm Saw. As with the previous three saws, I am very impressed with the design of all these saws and how relatively simply and intuitive they are to work on, seem to be pretty well designed and purpose built. One day I will actually make one run and take it out to the woods with me. I will be keeping my eyes open for one of the bigger P Series saws for that exercise.

20191228_090607.jpg

I am guessing the coil is at fault as this saw has no spark, not too much of a problem since the clutch spring is broken so it wouldn't actually cut wood anyway. I think this will be a nice display model when it is done as it is pretty nice cosmetically. I am really intrigued by the way the compression release is linked to the starter mechanism, pretty clever really.

Mark

Latest posts

Back