Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking through David Lee's book (mostly chronicles Mike Acres saws) I was inspired to have an RA on display. Perhaps one day I will attempt a more complete restoration but for now it is clean and ready.

View attachment 783531

View attachment 783532

View attachment 783533

View attachment 783534

View attachment 783535

Mark

"After looking through David Lee's book (mostly chronicles Mike Acres saws) ..."
This reminded me that I ordered (and paid for) the David Lee book about 7 weeks ago, via Amazon. Just went and checked - order status still:
"We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date"
Anyone know what's up with book/author? Is it out of print?

Is a "Poulan 6500" related to the Pioneer P61, Partner? P62, Poulan 655?
I've been casually looking for a P61, and came across a local ad for a "Poulan 6500". Looks rough in pics, and maybe only slightly related to Pioneer. Blower housing, handle, brake, etc way different
I googled and found the Poulan 655 - which is apparently v close to the P61/P62. Couldn't find anything on the 6500 though. I had read some time ago that Pioneer got mixed by Electrolux with Partner and - ultimately - Poulan. Shame...
Is the 6500 just an old Poulan, or a Pioneer in the rough?

Is a "Poulan 6500" related to the Pioneer P61, Partner? P62, Poulan 655?
I've been casually looking for a P61, and came across a local ad for a "Poulan 6500". Looks rough in pics, and maybe only slightly related to Pioneer. Blower housing, handle, brake, etc way different
I googled and found the Poulan 655 - which is apparently v close to the P61/P62. Couldn't find anything on the 6500 though. I had read some time ago that Pioneer got mixed by Electrolux with Partner and - ultimately - Poulan. Shame...
Is the 6500 just an old Poulan, or a Pioneer in the rough?

l never seen a Pioneer 6500 Saw.

1968-69 Model 2460 Pioneer. this is my first attempt at restoring this old Saw. Because of the colour green pioneer used at the time it probably not the most desireable among collectors. lts a part of pioneers saws legacy and all fun and excited to see the finish.
l discovered that finding chrome mufflers is not easy and that maybe were only destributed in Canadian or Europeon. market. Perhaps some one can add to that. anyhow l would like to find one.

Attachments

• 3270S Pics_001.JPG
    3270S Pics_001.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 3270S Pics_002.JPG
    3270S Pics_002.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 3270S Pics_003.JPG
    3270S Pics_003.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 3270S Pics_004.JPG
    3270S Pics_004.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 3270S Pics_005.JPG
    3270S Pics_005.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 15
  • 3270S Pics_006.JPG
    3270S Pics_006.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 15
l never seen a Pioneer 6500 Saw.
Thanks
I did some more noodling, and believe it may actually be a Poulan 455?
Looks a bit like Poulan/Partner P45? Compared to pics of the Pioneer P41/P42, the lower handle is broader (acts as a hand guard?) where it approaches the cylinder shroud, and the blower housing has molded intake screen (might be plastic?). I'll see if I can get a picture to post

Is a rough Poulan 455 worth the trouble?

1968-69 Model 2460 Pioneer. this is my first attempt at restoring this old Saw. Because of the colour green pioneer used at the time it probably not the most desireable among collectors. lts a part of pioneers saws legacy and all fun and excited to see the finish.
l discovered that finding chrome mufflers is not easy and that maybe were only destributed in Canadian or Europeon. market. Perhaps some one can add to that. anyhow l would like to find one.
Green is mean!
(Another beautiful restoration. Compliments!)

It could very well have the 6 transfer top end. For a runner I would say it's worth it.
Thanks Western
As you can see in the CL ad, this thing is a Polan (not a Poulan) ; ) Polans are made in Canada by Pioneer
Anyhow, you and Beavers are way ahead of novices like me.
- The cylinder Beavers shows looks like it has a boost port?
- Can you gurus tell whether saw is a good one by data plate info?
- Looks like handle is broken in pics. Are these hard to find?

Gosh, I'm starting to get the ol' chainsaw bug...

Thanks Western
As you can see in the CL ad, this thing is a Polan (not a Poulan) ; ) Polans are made in Canada by Pioneer
Anyhow, you and Beavers are way ahead of novices like me.
- The cylinder Beavers shows looks like it has a boost port?
- Can you gurus tell whether saw is a good one by data plate info?
- Looks like handle is broken in pics. Are these hard to find?

Gosh, I'm starting to get the ol' chainsaw bug...
It's a Poulan, but really a Pioneer at heart. I might have a handle laying around for it. Instead of having 4 transfer ports it has six. They are real good runners. The effect is similar to a boost port just done a different way.

It's a Poulan, but really a Pioneer at heart. I might have a handle laying around for it. Instead of having 4 transfer ports it has six. They are real good runners. The effect is similar to a boost port just done a different way.
Appreciate the good info, Western!
Heard back from the CL seller - v nice fellow - bought the Poulan 455? ($250) and a Poulan 4000 ($200) both new after Hurricane Hugo (Sept 1989) came through and knocked down 75 trees on their 60 acres. His wife just bought him a pair of new Stihls for Christmas. He will call me back with the data plate info.

Question: If this is a circa 1989 Poulan 455, is it automatically a 6 port model? (In reading up on this, seems that some Pioneers and P/Partners are "boost port" saws, etc, and some ain't. I also read that the "Western" Pioneers had additional performance features - multistage reeds, larger carbs, different porting. V interesting.
Also now much better understand your great moniker "P61 Western"!

450 green or darker?
got couple o those muffs. not chrome, tho.
3200 & 2270

l think the same shade of colour green or close to it was used. its realy hard to say for sure. l used the same colour paint on both those saws. Over time the colours change with aging. Most of the green 2400 series that you see appear to be much darker green though.

More on the "Polan 6500":

- Data Plate: "PRO 455" "538 515723"
- (also a parts saw data plate "PP 39CB" "538 515723"). I believe this may be a Partner/Pioneer P39?

Heard back from the CL seller - v nice fellow - bought the Poulan 455? ($250) and a Poulan 4000 ($200) both new after Hurricane Hugo (Sept 1989) came through and knocked down 75 trees on their 60 acres. His wife just bought him a pair of new Stihls for Christmas. He will call me back with the data plate info.

Question: If this is a circa 1989 Poulan 455, is it automatically a 6 port model? (In reading up on this, seems that some Pioneers and P/Partners are "boost port" saws, etc, and some ain't. I also read that the "Western" Pioneers had additional performance features - multistage reeds, larger carbs, different porting. V interesting.

Yes your 455 & 405 Plus has the extra tranfer cyl ports, The cyl base gasket is narrow 1/8" at this point, you may see it on the pic l sent earlier of a cyl. l think it is a weak area for possible leakage to ocurr.

More on the "Polan 6500":

- Data Plate: "PRO 455" "538 515723"
- (also a parts saw data plate "PP 39CB" "538 515723"). I believe this may be a Partner/Pioneer P39?
Correction (mistyped 455 sn; sorry):

- Data Plate: "PRO 455" "925 0267"

Glad to see you got the Pioneer sickness lol. The reason I use the p61 western name is that my grandpa left me that saw when he passed away. He bought it brand new in 1978 or 1979.

Latest posts

Back