Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 786697
I have a P39 and 42 that will use the one piece Phelon if I can find it.
But the P51 is different
Another question concerning magnesium cases, how can white death oxidation be stopped.
I have an opportunity to trade a few saws but in photos there seems to be a fair bit of white powder on them.
They are from the 1950's

I believe the Phelan coil is the same as used on Poulan anti-vibe saws.

I believe this is an eBay auction for a new coil of what I used on my P41S fix.

Proline Igniton Module Coil For Husqvarna, AYP, Poulan 545189701 Phelon for sale online | eBay
https://www.ebay.com/p/22021536176
Thanks, I will order one

Looking for a coil to work on Pioneer P51.
I read on here The husky 272 will work on some pioneers.
What's the latest news on replacing these ignitions? I have a few that need replacing.
I tried baking and got 1 spark from each that was it, then nothing.

The original ignitions are very hard to find now. Baking the old ones has worked for some, too bad you didn't get better results.

I tried to get a Husky ignition to work but never could figure it out. I still have the parts and may try again one day. Not sure if any of the regular folks on here have tried it and can get you better answers on that modification.

Good morning all on arboristsite!

Here is a repost of the link to Rotterman sales, specifically the pioneer parts exploded views:

http://www.rottmansales.com/lookups/index_files/Page341.htm

In the late 70s I was enjoying employment at a Ford/New Holland ag equipment dealership, we sold McMulloch saws. threw the 80s and early 90s I was really enjoying employment at a John Deere ag, light const. and consumer products dealership. at that time I had access to Remington, Homelite, Echo, Red Max and Shindiawa parts and their diagrams. Deere saws were Remington's before they changed to re branded Echos. I wish we had been a Pioneer dealer also!

I believe that all the Pioneer P20 series saws with Phelon POINTS IGNITION, share the same ignition parts as the Homelite XL12 series of saws. As well as others. (All my 30cc to 42 CC Quadra engines with points use these Phelon parts.same as the XL12 saws) Homelite built the XL12 and Super XL12 for a very long tome because they were the NYS bid saws, they were also built in NYS at one time.

The NON POINTS versions or the P20"E" series of engines use/share the same Phelon coil as the Homelite SUPER XL12. once again I refer to My experiance with Quadra engines, The Quadra 50 and later Quadra 52s were made using the same top ends and Phelon ignitions system from the pioneer P20 "E" series of saws. (The Q65, Q75, Q80, and Q100 al used the Phelon coil )

The now gone, Red Max chainsaw, were from Kamotsu Heavy industries. There engines and engine parts are one and the same as the Zenoah line of RC engines still being produced today, They basically set the standards of the time!

I was in sales, but I worked with our parts guys and shipped parts all over the North east to RC guys needing, Kioritz, Zenoah, Remington, Homelite, American power, Phelon ign parts and others. It was fun times for an engine addict.

I do not have any cross reference to the ignition used in the P41s or P51s at this time, sorry.

Although my 98" 31 pound, Ziroli designed, P51 is powered with a Stihl 89CC out of the Stihl 050 saw. I originally had one of my 70cc, 4.2 Sacks engines in it and I wanted a little more nose weight for balance. Never add lead, put a bigger engine in!
20170823_150041.jpg

Remenber Lavoy!

Ken

Another question concerning magnesium cases, how can white death oxidation be stopped.
I have an opportunity to trade a few saws but in photos there seems to be a fair bit of white powder on them.
They are from the 1950's
It all depends how bad it is. Straight white vinegar has worked well on some minor stuff I ran into.

Not much info on the p39 model is there. I am going to pick one up tomorrow. Is there any major issues I should be looking for? Apparently it leaks bar oil, other than that no issues. Oh,one more question. It is a p39 "plus" what is it that makes it a "plus". Thanks fellas!

IMG_1852.JPG IMG_1853.JPG IMG_1855.JPG
It all depends how bad it is. Straight white vinegar has worked well on some minor stuff I ran into.
It looks pretty rough in pictures a PM Canadien 275, PM360 and a Pioneer 650 if I can stop it then coat it with epoxy or something to preserve it, I would be happy with that.
Will check it out closer in a few days.

Those are pricy, I think I'm going to bake them again for about 16 hrs, nothing to loose there.
Would rather find another to fit rather than pay $150 for one that may not be any better.
The first used one there might be worth a try.
Thanks

Those are pricy, I think I'm going to bake them again for about 16 hrs, nothing to loose there.
Would rather find another to fit rather than pay $150 for one that may not be any better.
The first used one there might be worth a try.
Thanks

A few years ago I was lucky enough to find a NOS P51 ignition and the twin to it that goes to the Homlite 410. Both, and I'm assuming because of their age, had weak spark. Baking them in the oven cured the issue.

So yes, paying $150 for NOS might lead to fixing the NOS one like you would an old used one.

Also, I found that the plug wire on the Homlite 410 ignition that I bought was slightly shorter than the one that fits the big P series Pioneer saws. An easy enough fix but something that needed to be addressed.

Back