Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have 2 new air filters elements coming today for my 2 1074 saws. One has a good cover with just a little chunk broke off one edge. Other had a broken nub that holds filter. I epoxied that so should be good. However, that cover is also missing the gaskets that seals around airbox. Anyone got any ideas what I can stuff in the groove to act as a gasket?

Thanks beavers! My other 1074 has the original seal intact, but I didn't have anything similar to it and I couldn't find any available currently on eBay. So I got to looking and that hose fit in groove nice and snug.

Thanks beavers! My other 1074 has the original seal intact, but I didn't have anything similar to it and I couldn't find any available currently on eBay. So I got to looking and that hose fit in groove nice and snug.

That is good fix with the vacuum/ windshield washer hose/tubing. Another option might be, do a search engine search of Hydraulic cylinder repair in your area. Many repair outfits have spools of bulk o-ring seal stock. it is not uncommon to find square rubber seals in many cylinders /hydraulic applications. a visit a local repair shop might supply you with several life times of the rubber for pennies. the stock is cut to length with a razor blade a tiny drop of instant glue make a permanent bond for joining the ends. I have made countless numbers of o rings from stock and or cutting larger ones down to size , or make large one from 2 shorter ones.

Ken

Yes screwbolts good tip. I actually had a square o-ring here, but it was just a little too big, but one of those would work great. The one challenge with this application though is that the hole deeper than it is wide. That's why tubing worked great cause when squished it bottoms out in slot while still being wide enough to fill it.

I use a similar method with Fel-Pro hybrid cork/rubber gasket material for McCulloch 10 series fuel tanks. Simply cut a strip the correct width and length and thread it into the slot. I use a dab of Motoseal at the butt joint and a little bead around the mating surface for good measure. Much easier than making a template and trying to cut the correct shape gasket! Would work just as well for the airbox seal mentioned above (minus the sealant, of course).

Guys are beginning to gravitate toward bulk viton material using the same basic method for all types of similar applications and saving lots of money. The prices for basic gaskets and seals that can otherwise be easily made from linear strips of material has become absolutely ridiculous. I can probably get 100 Mac fuel tank gaskets out of one $13 roll of Fel-Pro.

Blocked up some wood this morning with a great running P41S that I posted about a few pages ago. Just drained the gas and oil out of it in preparation for taking it back apart. Need to now do the necessary porting to open a feed passage way to the extra boost ports that a 66cc p41 doesn't have. This North America made saw is going to be even more fun.

Fun times ahead using a dremel.

Ken

20200203_101038.jpg

20200203_103851.jpg 20200203_101053.jpg

I wouldn't split just to paint... a lot of older pioneers were painted when together... only saw I repainted, I had jug/carb, top & both side covers off. mask the fw & clutch... View attachment 350532 View attachment 350533 View attachment 350534 btw, clutch is supposed to be & is painted on the 650...
I realise this was moons ago but I have to give kudos. That's the best looking 600 series I've ever seen! Inspiring. Might do just that to mine! Thanks for the great pictures!

info needed or shared expierences on the early Mahle cyl plating failures 6 cube. l seem to remember their was some early cyls that were out and had problems , l do not now how to identifie or the part # of these cyls.

Hi guys! I have the p40 and my problem is that i can't find piston ring here in greece. I try with other pistons from husqvarna with no luck and i bought a piston ring 47mm and 1.5mm thickness, but the ring has gap and i don't think that lasts. My piston has one ring. Any ideas?

P40 I picked up recently. Everything is there. Runs when bottle fed so that's promising. I was pleasantly surprised right off the hop with the weight and superb balance of this saw. It just feels good in the hand. Other than the paint, it's in very good condition aside from the fuel system.
20200211_113431.jpg 20200211_113344.jpg 20200211_113330.jpg

Went to dump the old fuel out and this came out with it......
20200209_165913.jpg
So, the saw is torn down for full inspection. I had full intentions of porting this saw originally, but I think I may just leave it as is for now and see how they run in factory trim.

@ Benwa;
I really liked your plunge cut (Super 620).
That's what I usually do when dropping a tree. One vertical and two horizontal.

@ admin:
If you used the "last visited" rather than the "last posted" date, I suspect there would be many fewer trash posts just to keep the email notifications coming.

Lou

Latest posts

Back