Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was outbid for it. Went for 350 at auction. Was running but not so hot cosmeticaly . I quit at 175. Don,t think a p 45 is worth that in the shape it was in. Allan

I started my wood cutting career at a very young age with a Pioneer 600 and a very worn RA later a white Holiday all very good saws .The 600 will always be my favorite.I still have a DA the Holiday and an HC and now have the saw that started Jerrys saw buying career the mighty 1450. The saw has seen its share of cutting but has good comp and is mostly complete and came with a brand new 14 inch bar looks pretty sad with that little bar It is missing the clutch cover and air filter as expected the primer doesnt work also the shut off switch and the throttle lock
I started her up with a squirt of mix and after playing with the air inject I got it running quite well.The 1450 seems to have alot of power and alot of exhaust noise sounds like my PM700 only nicer.
Here is where I need help
is the oiler adjustable? The primer hoses were off which connection on the primer is suction the bottom one with brass nut or the top one?
The main diaphram in the pump looks OK but the rubber disc behind the brass nut with the U shaped spring clip has a hole in the center is it supposed to have the hole. The spring and little valve with the rubber end are there on the top one.
I had a couple of more questions but must be having one of those senior moments the ones I used to laugh at.
Any help greatly appreciated.
John
A special thank you to Jerry for his posts on previous threads about the inject aire it really helped me out Its kinda like the air screw on Mikuni carbs.

I started my wood cutting career at a very young age with a Pioneer 600 and a very worn RA later a white Holiday all very good saws .The 600 will always be my favorite.I still have a DA the Holiday and an HC and now have the saw that started Jerrys saw buying career the mighty 1450. The saw has seen its share of cutting but has good comp and is mostly complete and came with a brand new 14 inch bar looks pretty sad with that little bar It is missing the clutch cover and air filter as expected the primer doesnt work also the shut off switch and the throttle lock
I started her up with a squirt of mix and after playing with the air inject I got it running quite well.The 1450 seems to have alot of power and alot of exhaust noise sounds like my PM700 only nicer.
is the oiler adjustable? The primer hoses were off which connection on the primer is suction the bottom one with brass nut or the top one?
The main diaphram in the pump looks OK but the rubber disc behind the brass nut with the U shaped spring clip has a hole in the center is it supposed to have the hole. The spring and little valve with the rubber end are there on the top one.
I had a couple of more questions but must be having one of those senior moments the ones I used to laugh at.
John
A special thank you to Jerry for his posts on previous threads about the inject aire it really helped me out Its kinda like the air screw on Mikuni carbs.
Your wood cutting career almost copies mine to a T. I did start out cutting with the RA on the farm but moved up to my dad`s hand me down 600, we heated 3 houses with wood, close to 60 cord a year. Dad replaced his 600 with a 1100, I had to work a good deal of odd jobs to finally afford my first new saw, the mighty 1450. That saw made me money and really started my wood cutting career. I hope you can find enough bits to get yours running. I have rebuilt those primer pumps many times and all the diaphragms / discs have no holes in them. I have to get going now but will collect my thoughts and memories and get back later this evening. Today is firewood moving day for me, bring it home from the wood yard and pile it in the woodhouse, couple of loads in the F350 dumper.

John
On my 1450 the oiler is not adjustable. The primer is the type with the hard black push button, not the bulb type. It pulls fuel through the center nipple and pushes the fuel back out through the offset nipple. I covered the hole in the rubber disc, mine are solid. Any other questions ask away, will help if I can.
My old 1450, With dads 1100 below it.
IMG_1945.jp

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

I have been on the hunt for a 600 for years I left my at my dads place and when he passed away in 95 it and my many boxes of outboard snow machine and chain saw parts along with other saws got thrown in the dump.
When I look at a 600 with the geen tree and green serial tag and dual muffler I go way back in time.I think it is the best looking saw ever made.

Well today was good and bad Bucked up split and piled a cord of birch.
fixed the switch on the 1450 now the bad.I took the primer apart again .
Big diafram looks good still supple no holes I took out the little spring clip in the brass nipple that little rubber disc has a hole in the middle and is mush NFG.I went to put the little clip back in and it shot off into a pile of tractor parts.I searched for two hours.I thought I felt something hit my chest so later I removed my coveralls to check to see if maybe it was stuck to my Bushmans Bikini for you southern gentlemen these are made in Canada Stanfields 100 percent wool one piece long johns.No luck.I have seen clips like that before back cannot think where. I might be able to find the little rubber disc in some fuel pumps.
Jerry is that disc a check valve I assume the small one with the rubber tip and spring on the top one is a check valve also.
I dont know what it is about this saw but I am really drawn to it I like the look and the way it runs.I have another 20 cords of birch to buck and split for firewood and I think this saw would enjoy the task.
In a normal year I would buy my parts on Ebay as I am only 30 miles from the border but due to covid I cant.
If anyone out there has a clutch bar cover for a 1450 and a spring clip and rubber disc I will gladly pay what ever the asking price is plus shipping and throw in a little exta to cover your time and gas costs to ship it.
I come from a family where my dads word was his bond I try to follow in his foot steps failing at times.
I also need a starter cup for my HC it is a shame they did not have the replaceable plastic liner like Stihl had on the 08s.
Sorry for the long post but my one finger typing was on a roll.
John

Just use a 1/4" hole punch and make a disk out of a carb diaphragm or similar. As long as it is flexible enough to seat it'll work. Make sure you clean the goo off the seat. Check the outlet check valve that it isn't stuck. Slotted head, with a spring and oring. Sometimes the orings get hard and won't seal. It's a standard size like 00 or 000, very tiny. And, that little spring you lost is super important. Have to have something to retain the disk and let it move.

There was a time I had a couple primer pumps I rebuilt with new OEM parts but let them all go to others in need. Sent my last NOS one to Fat Guy ,(Nick) a few ears back, these primer pumps and parts are very scarce now. I will check my junk boxes to see if there is a even a non working one . If I remembr correctly the main diaphragm pushes and pulls the fuel, all the other parts in there act as check valves for incoming and outgoing fuel, sort of like intake and exhaust valves in any 4 stroker.

Finished putting the RA together, started up second pull with a little mix in the carb. Drained and now retired.
Have to clean a bar up for it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3179.JPG
    IMG_3179.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3180.JPG
    IMG_3180.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3185.JPG
    IMG_3185.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3186.JPG
    IMG_3186.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 13
Finished putting the RA together, started up second pull with a little mix in the carb. Drained and now retired.
Have to clean a bar up for it yet.

Looks real nice but a little dark green on the clutch cover letters and the raised emblems on the flywheel side fuel tank really sets the RA plain yellow off nicely.

I have been on the hunt for a 600 for years I left my at my dads place and when he passed away in 95 it and my many boxes of outboard snow machine and chain saw parts along with other saws got thrown in the dump.
When I look at a 600 with the geen tree and green serial tag and dual muffler I go way back in time.I think it is the best looking saw ever made.

agreed on 600 looks. mine has tree on [pioneer] starter, too.

IMG_0183 (1).JPG

agreed on 600 looks. mine has tree on [pioneer] starter, too.

View attachment 869840
That is the original Pioneer type starter with the white nylon catch pawl in it, they were deemed too weak to stand up to the rigors of starting the 600 so Pioneer switched over to using the Farirbanks Morse type starter. Our dealer would switch out the originals and replace it with a FM type for free if it broke or malfunctioned. We kept ours, the dealer claimed our 600 was the thirteenth one to come off the line, I could never get an explanation of the serial number setup used on the model 600 , how to decipher the numbers for date of manufacture.

Our 600 had the green tree starter I agree 100 percent the green on the clutch is beautiful.I really appreaciate you looking for a scrap primer Jerry even if I got the spring I could make the disc.Keep your eye out for a clutch cover and an air filter for the 1450 I have no qualms about the cost. 89HD I would love to see your RA pictures but all I see is grey boxes/.
Kash

Our 600 had the green tree starter I agree 100 percent the green on the clutch is beautiful.I really appreaciate you looking for a scrap primer Jerry even if I got the spring I could make the disc.Keep your eye out for a clutch cover and an air filter for the 1450 I have no qualms about the cost. 89HD I would love to see your RA pictures but all I see is grey boxes/.
Kash
It will likely be the weekend before I get time to go through several big boxes of old derelict parts, if there is anything there of any use its yours. I think the clutch cover from a 1410 and 1420 would also fit the 1450. I knew where a non running 1420 was a few years ago but not likely still there will check into it. These saws are sort of an oddity and fairly scarce as they were a short production run of not much more than two years.

Back