Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did you use for a cover where the green medallion is located if you don`t mind. I get asked the question often of what one can use to fill that hole if a medallion cannot be located reasonably.
It was already there, some kind of a plug, the centre is a bolt that tightens it on. Like 2 washers bottom one threaded.
Works well. Medallion would look better, could also use a footpads and brackets. Might have to make them.

It was already there, some kind of a plug, the centre is a bolt that tightens it on. Like 2 washers bottom one threaded.
Works well. Medallion would look better, could also use a footpads and brackets. Might have to make them.
Ok, thanks. There must be a small craze of fixing up these RA`s as its one of the most often saws I get questions on of where to find parts, what parts interchange and what can be used instead of OEM. Top covers and footpegs with brackets are most sought for parts.

Your RA looks great Here is my winning the lottery.I was at the dump several years ago I was throwing a bag in the pile and a familar green caught my attention there in a box of old nails etc was the green medallion for the Pioneer saws fit on my HC perfect I swear I saw the saw brighten its paint LOL.

DSCF2457.JPGDSCF2468.JPGDSCF2467.JPGDSCF2469.JPGWent around country side on weekend looking for old saws etc. Found a box of parts supposibly for my stihl 026 but had a lot of pioneer farmsaw parts in it. My two running ones, a complete parts saw and all the parts in box shown in top pic. Got some tips from that person of other old saw places. One had three big pioneer saws [ one 650 and 2 750s] but he thought they were gold plated. The next one had a p20 which I have and told me he had recently sold a running p40. He had some homelites but I already have three. As I was getting ready to leave he said he had a great deal for me so I bit He sold me three skilsaw 1629. One was started up and run well right there. The other two were complete saws free witjh compression. The running one is the black and yellow one on my tractor box. . So far can,t find a manual or any specs online so far.Didn,t think it was too bad a trip. Allan

Attachments

• DSCF2457.JPG
    DSCF2457.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2457.JPG
    DSCF2457.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
Went around country side on weekend looking for old saws etc. Found a box of parts supposibly for my stihl 026 but had a lot of pioneer farmsaw parts in it. My two running ones, a complete parts saw and all the parts in box shown in top pic. Got some tips from that person of other old saw places. One had three big pioneer saws [ one 650 and 2 750s] but he thought they were gold plated. The next one had a p20 which I have and told me he had recently sold a running p40. He had some homelites but I already have three. As I was getting ready to leave he said he had a great deal for me so I bit He sold me three skilsaw 1629. One was started up and run well right there. The other two were complete saws free witjh compression. The running one is the black and yellow one on my tractor box. . So far can,t find a manual or any specs online so far.Didn,t think it was too bad a trip. Allan
You have 3½ times as many FarmSaws as I do. I bought mine brand new in late 1979 or early 1980. She has served me well.
2 cautions.
1. The electronic ignition (coil) is susceptible to moisture and will short. It can usually be solved by baking the coil (low and slow). Store them properly.
2. The starter takeup spool is plastic. NEVER disable the compression release, and if the starter rope gets caught in any brush; immediately clear it so it can rewind. I mistakenly ran mine caught and it ate part of the starter spool away; DON"T DO IT.
Best of luck with ALL your saws.

DSCF2407.JPGDSCF2409.JPGDSCF2417.JPGDSCF2422.JPGLou the farmsaw on the left in pictures in previous post I bought new 1980. Cut this old dead oak down with it and my stihl ms360. The picaroon is 50 in. and long wedges are 16 in. The stump was 61 in. 3 ft above ground and was solid a couple feet above cut. The farmsaw worked just as well as my 360 but it had a 24 in bar and farmsaw 20 in. Got close to 10 face cords cit 16 long. When it hit ground it seemed like it could be heard a mile away. Took a week to cut and split it. Allan -----by the way the wedges are an african hard wood a cabinet maker friend made for me.

Attachments

• DSCF2407.JPG
    DSCF2407.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
I still have the original bar (20" I told the supplier I wanted a saw without a damned chain brake and a bar of at least 20 inches) the supplier came up with my FarmSaw.
Many years later (1990±), In Washington State, the 7 surrounding acres here were logged (1995 or 6. There was a covenant of no more than 1 house per acre when we purchased our 3. The wonderful tax-hungry county nixed that. The developer erected 22 houses on that 7 acres). There were many many tree bases left. The loggers were kind enough to leave them where I could easily harvest them. I bought a second bar 24 inches at that time. She does well with the 24-inch bar. We have one small woodstove and one insert. I harvested enough wood that we burned it for at least 3 years.

I'm a retired Air Force Avionics Instrument Systems Technician, E7 (MSgt 20 years, 2 months, and twenty-seven days not that I kept track). We had a new home built in 1979 in Alamogordo NM (Holloman AFB). It came with a fireplace. That's where I started cutting wood. The National forest was nearby, 4000 feet up a mountainside. I cut my first firwood with a 20-inch bow saw and placed it outside of the fence in the alley behind my home. My neighbors got much more of it than did I! I saw the error of my ways and we purchased a 16 inch Skill chainsaw through Amway. The four of us took it up the mountainside. I worked my tail off and finally got it running albeit poorly, and started cutting. It didn't run worth a damn, boiled off 2/3s of a tank of gas every time it was refueled, and whatever you do; don't let it run out of gas. I wasted most of a day trying to use it. If there had been a cliff that saw would have been at the bottom!!! We stopped at the local chainsaw outlet, on the way home, and told them what I wanted. While awaiting the new saw I built a 6 x 6 x 5 feet foot tall shed in my backyard. I sheeted the center 3 feet for tools and lawnmowers but left both sides open. That's where I stored all firewood from then on. early 1986 I got orders for Germany. The saw went into storage and remained there until we bought this place.

Alamogordo is at 4,100 feet; Cloudcroft (the mountain top) is in excess of 8,000. I know now the Skill needed the carburetor adjusted. At the time, I didn't and never thought of that. Today I know that the only 2 cycle carb I've ever attempted to adjust no longer runs, I should have taken it where I ordered its replacement. Come to think about it, I did, I gave them that damned Skill.

View attachment 870994View attachment 870995View attachment 870996View attachment 870997Went around country side on weekend looking for old saws etc. Found a box of parts supposibly for my stihl 026 but had a lot of pioneer farmsaw parts in it. My two running ones, a complete parts saw and all the parts in box shown in top pic. Got some tips from that person of other old saw places. One had three big pioneer saws [ one 650 and 2 750s] but he thought they were gold plated. The next one had a p20 which I have and told me he had recently sold a running p40. He had some homelites but I already have three. As I was getting ready to leave he said he had a great deal for me so I bit He sold me three skilsaw 1629. One was started up and run well right there. The other two were complete saws free witjh compression. The running one is the black and yellow one on my tractor box. . So far can,t find a manual or any specs online so far.Didn,t think it was too bad a trip. Allan
I completely forgot I had this Skilsaw 1631. I got it at a farm action 4-5 years ago for 15 bucks. It runs great. I had it on the truck the day after I got it, and went over my BIL's rental house, to cut up a tree that fell across his back yard. The chain was a little dull, but still cut up the trunk, about 20".
f2lolHq.jpg

0OdjYj6.jpg

I've got to thank Chris for helping me out on this switch plate. It was in pretty good shape, with a little rust and 3-4 sharp corner dents. I found an old chunk of Cherry and made a square dowel out of Oak and was able to tap the dents out. Then while my buddy put recessed lights in the house, I walked around behind him, with a piece of Scotch Bright and some 2000 grit paper, polishing the plate. It looks pretty good as is. I may leave it like this. If the rest of the saw cleans up nice, I may polish it like a piece of chrome. I think this is going to be a fun saw to restore.
fIDe809.jpg

Your skilsaw 1631 looks very similar to my 1629,s.I paid 90 bucks for the three saws and 10 for the box of parts. That works out to be about 70 of your bucks. I think I got a good deal. The all yellow non running saw looks like it was never use much as bar and chain almost new and sprocket has almost no wear. It was covered in fine sawdust suggesting that it had been under table saw most of it,s life,that is were the owner got it for me. The other two came from his wood shed. Allan

Your skilsaw 1631 looks very similar to my 1629,s.I paid 90 bucks for the three saws and 10 for the box of parts. That works out to be about 70 of your bucks. I think I got a good deal. The all yellow non running saw looks like it was never use much as bar and chain almost new and sprocket has almost no wear. It was covered in fine sawdust suggesting that it had been under table saw most of it,s life,that is were the owner got it for me. The other two came from his wood shed. Allan
That's odd, I went to Acres site to see what the size difference, if any, there was between the 1629 and 1631, The 1631 is listed as 69CC's, but the 1629 wasn't listed. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for a Skil 1690 at 139CC's. That might be a keeper.

Well, I tried cranking the 700 over after letting is sit with mix in the cylinder for a week or so, no difference in compression, right on 70 PSI. Put the new oil pump lever on and it functions, don't know if it pumps yet. Stuck the air cleaner cover on, almost looks good enough for a photo op. Pulled the outer piece of the muffler cover off. Tried to get a pic of the piston and cylinder. haven't mastered that skill with a cell yet. The back side of the cylinder looks very good, smooth and clean. The front side of the piston has some scratches, but I've seen much worse that ran well. The rings look like they are stuck completely inside of the groove. I might try letting it soak in ATF/Acetone and see if that loosens them up. Might try blowing compressed air under them and see if that moves them at all.
J9VhMzf.jpg

SOzUnya.jpg

Uo7ladA.jpg

QWCd1H9.jpg

DpzFYYi.jpg

Back