pioneer farmsaw drive link ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2strokin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just got a 1980 farmsaw from neighbor. He was going to through it out. Was in his shed for 38 yrs. Only has about 5 hrs on it. Said ho only used it once. Everything original on it. Brought it home put fuel I'm it ,dumped little gas in carb , pulled it 12 times and it fired up!!!! Smoked for about a minute then idled perfect! Screamed sweetly at full throttle!. 38 year old cj8 plug and fuel lines are perfect. (no ethanol back then) Only thing missing is chain. He said the chain rusted so he took it off and threw it out years ago. Does anyone have a OEM 18" bar on a farmsaw and how many links are on your chain. Cross refed a few sites and they said 68DL will fit pioneer bar. Went to 3 shops, they looked it up and said 68DL is it. Put chain on and it is two big. It fits with bar all the way out and chain adjuster bottomed out. Leaves no room for adjustment? It seems that 66DL will give me room to adjust after it stretch from use. Was told they could take 2 links out but cant return chain if it doesn't work. Should i get new bar and chain? If so what bar mfg will work with pioneer. (.058ga 3/8pch) Before i put money into saw (plug, fuel lines etc} is it worth it? Sorry this is long winded guys. Chain thing should be simple i assume but shop guys say they don't know why 68DL wont work. Great site. learned a lot about the farmsaw already!!!

Just got a 1980 farmsaw from neighbor. He was going to through it out. Was in his shed for 38 yrs. Only has about 5 hrs on it. Said ho only used it once. Everything original on it. Brought it home put fuel I'm it ,dumped little gas in carb , pulled it 12 times and it fired up!!!! Smoked for about a minute then idled perfect! Screamed sweetly at full throttle!. 38 year old cj8 plug and fuel lines are perfect. (no ethanol back then) Only thing missing is chain. He said the chain rusted so he took it off and threw it out years ago. Does anyone have a OEM 18" bar on a farmsaw and how many links are on your chain. Cross refed a few sites and they said 68DL will fit pioneer bar. Went to 3 shops, they looked it up and said 68DL is it. Put chain on and it is two big. It fits with bar all the way out and chain adjuster bottomed out. Leaves no room for adjustment? It seems that 66DL will give me room to adjust after it stretch from use. Was told they could take 2 links out but cant return chain if it doesn't work. Should i get new bar and chain? If so what bar mfg will work with pioneer. (.058ga 3/8pch) Before i put money into saw (plug, fuel lines etc} is it worth it? Sorry this is long winded guys. Chain thing should be simple i assume but shop guys say they don't know why 68DL wont work. Great site. learned a lot about the farmsaw already!!!

I don't have an exact answer for the chain size you need but but 66DL is probably about right. Some of the older saws had some different drive link counts and most new shops probably don't have a reference for that bar/chain set up. There may be some info on the bar that will tell you the exact DL count .

You can find NOS Pioneer bars on eBay, There's quite a few of the 16-20" bars on there regularly. Some sellers have chains that go with them. There are several bars with a Husky mount can be modified easily enough to fit your saw.

I'd say that saw is worth the time, effort, and expense to get it running. With a little work, it'll probably last a long time.

Take a couple of pictures of the stamped numbers on the bar tail and post them in the Pioneer Sticky on this site. Tons of information and knowledge on that thread. One of the Pioneer gurus that frequent that thread will probably be able to answer any questions you may have about that saw.

I don't have an exact answer for the chain size you need but but 66DL is probably about right. Some of the older saws had some different drive link counts and most new shops probably don't have a reference for that bar/chain set up. There may be some info on the bar that will tell you the exact DL count .

You can find NOS Pioneer bars on eBay, There's quite a few of the 16-20" bars on there regularly. Some sellers have chains that go with them. There are several bars with a Husky mount can be modified easily enough to fit your saw.

I'd say that saw is worth the time, effort, and expense to get it running. With a little work, it'll probably last a long time.

Take a couple of pictures of the stamped numbers on the bar tail and post them in the Pioneer Sticky on this site. Tons of information and knowledge on that thread. One of the Pioneer gurus that frequent that thread will probably be able to answer any questions you may have about that saw.
Thanks!! it is 66DL. Got a lot if info already from all you guys. Went to a diff shop ltold guy to make me a 66DL for 18" bar. He kind of looked at me funny. I said don't ask just make it (LOL).

Thanks!! it is 66DL. Got a lot if info already from all you guys. Went to a diff shop ltold guy to make me a 66DL for 18" bar. He kind of looked at me funny. I said don't ask just make it (LOL).

Glad it worked out. I've received that look before too when ordering chains for some Pioneer bars. When you get it all fixed up, share some pictures over on the Pioneer Sticky. I'm glad you saved that old saw from going in the teash!

Latest posts

Back