Pioneer P41 newbie questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I admit this may seem like a couple of simple questions, but how does the clutch go back on? I bought the saw apart so I didn't see it together. Also what should I look for to see if any parts are damaged? The 2nd picture shows the chain cover. It doesn't look like the correct cover for this saw to me. Is that correct? Thanks for looking.0409161758.jpg0409161757.jpg

washer first then clutch drum with rim and barring opening facing out then your clutch assembly you will need one nut to hold everything together

this is what it looks like with out the brake assembly

Attachments

• 20160313_172857.jpg
    20160313_172857.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20160313_172958.jpg
    20160313_172958.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
Looks like the nut in the pic (shown under the bar mount studs) is the one to hold the clutch on. Looks too small and wrong shape to be a bar mount nut. I think there is supposed to be a washer between it and the clutch. That is one beat up looking P41. Shows serious pro use and I bet it will still run fine. Chainsawr has quite a few pioneer parts and is a good guy to deal with.
https://store.chainsawr.com/

Yes that is the nut that holds the clutch. Looks like it does not have the washer that goes on first before the sprocket. It does run good. It was quite easy to crank up. It is missing the proper clutch cover plate, the rubber intake bowl, and a bar and chain. Sounds real mean when fired up. I think my poulan went and hid. I can't find it anywhere.

Got the rubber air box on order. Thanks for the info on chainsawr. Now I will be on the lookout for the correct clutch cover and a bar and chain. Might just get the bar and chain at my local outdoor equipment shop.

Oils fine, got the rubber air box today. I fired it up again. I am amazed at how easy it is to start. I have another question though. Is there a large washer that goes between the sprocket and the motor? If there is what is the part number? I Could probably size one up if I have to. I could use the correct clutch cover if someone has one for sale. Then it's just a bar and chain away from cutting some wood I think.

It also works for days of heavy noodling as the cover just repeatedly jams up. Not safe though.

As for the washer, find a hardish thin washer that's close and file till it just slips over the crank for an ID and the OD is anything that is bigger than the spur/r and doesn't hit anything else on the engine side.

It is just a buffer washer to prevent the spur/rim/drum/bearing from hitting and grinding away at the engine cover and seal.

Oils fine, got the rubber air box today. I fired it up again. I am amazed at how easy it is to start. I have another question though. Is there a large washer that goes between the sprocket and the motor? If there is what is the part number? I Could probably size one up if I have to. I could use the correct clutch cover if someone has one for sale. Then it's just a bar and chain away from cutting some wood I think.

The washer is Pioneer part number 430848

I got a 306a like that. It's my noodle machine since I can't find a cover for a reasonable price. I used a chunk of aluminum a few inches long and the width of the bar. Then attached a set of dogs from a Jonny 670. Never jam noodler. You have a cover just not the right one for the saw.

Thank you for the info guys. I am ordering a cover off fleabay. The washers are pretty much a shot in the dark but I found the parts list. I just don't like using incorrect parts. But looks like the washers will be an exception.

Ok another question about bar length. Where I live it is rare to see a tree over 24" in diameter. Even more rare that I would need to cut one. So for this Pioneer I am thinking of a smaller bar. Can you have too small a bar for a chainsaw? I'm thinking 18-20". But even a 16" would work for me.

Back