Pioneer P42 won't fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller87t

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need help diagnosing a problem with P42. I used this saw a week ago cutting up a 24 inch oak, and it ran perfectly. Today, I was cutting up some 5-6 inch limbs from the ice storm that passed through here. The saw developed a full throttle missfire and then stopped running. I pulled the plug and it doesn't seem to be firing. Does anyone have a guess as to what might be wrong?

Thanks.

First replace the spark plug. Then check the ignition switch, unplug it and see if it will fire.
Then check the high tension wire from the coil to the spark plug. The small wire from the ignition module to the switch may also be grounding out. Lets hope for a fast fix and not the coil pack!!
Good luck

Thanks for the reply P62.

I tried your suggestions. I replaced the plug with one I know is good. I checked the switch, ground wire and high tension wire with an ohm meter. All checked out ok. I believe that the coil pack is bad. Do you know where I can get a new one? I was looking at one for a Homelite saw from Manufacturer's Supply, but don't know for sure that it will work. I included a link to the coil below. Do you think it might work?

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/31-9720.html?id=BZKhMNE6

Thanks for your help.

I can't say for sure on that coil.
I have a Pioneer Partner P62 , Pioneer P60 and couple of P51's.
The P51 and P60 use the same coil, but the P 62 has a different type of coil and cylinder mount as well. I do not have a P42 only P41 saws. I expect the P42 is different from the P41 as well.
From what I read on this site coils are becoming very hard to find for Pioneer. I try to pick up all Pioneer saws I run accross for parts as well as the older IEL that I collect.

The coils for the p-41.p51,and p-60 are very hard to find. I've been looking alot and I'm only having a little luck. I'm not positive but I believe the p-42 ignition is different from the p-41. First place I would try is Rottmans in Moline Michigan 616-877-4711. If they don't have it you will probably have to look for a used one. I know the coils for the older 41's etc. were not made after 1996, at least that's what I've been told by several dealers. I'm currently working with a company that might have some new ones left but I'm going to have to wait awhile to find out. I know a couple places to look for a used one if you can't get a new one.Good luck.

Also check the thread I started about a week ago titled Pioneer Ignitions. there is some good info that might help you. Let us know.

I finally got one of those Homelite coils from Manufacturer's Supply that I included the link for above. All that I had to do was to extend the slots in the mounting holes about a quarter inch to make it work on my P42. This fixed my saw and it now runs better than it ever has. Hope this info helps someone else.

miller87t

Back