Pioneer/Partner P42 Question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mile9socounty

Two-Stroke Swope
Reaction score
Due to be as poor as I am right now. I can't buy a manual for my P42. So here's my question. Whats the torque spec's for the head bolts? Plain and simple. I had to change the head gasket and the carb. gasket. So now I need to torque it back on. PFT isn't a torque spec either. Thank you.

These apply to the Partner semi-pro and pro 55, 65, 70, and 100 cc saws.

Cylinder head bolt torque specs: 10 Nm or 85 in lbs.

I do not know what the P42 is rated at, but I thought that I'd post these up anyway as they may apply to your saw.

HTH

Those p42's are great firewood saws my Grandpa had one and I used it quite a bit. They still hold good value. If you can post a picture that would be great.

These apply to the Partner semi-pro and pro 55, 65, 70, and 100 cc saws.

I do not know what the P42 is rated at, but I thought that I'd post these up anyway as they may apply to your saw.

HTH

Thank you for your reply. You don't know how much that helped. The local Saw Shop hasn't been to reasonable with me. My saw is tore apart right now. But I will still take pictures for yall.

PP01.jpg

PP02.jpg

PP06.jpg

I really didn't have to replace the head gasket. But since I was replacing my Carb gasket. I figured I might as well replace all of them. Except splitting the case. Heres a shot of the carb. gasket. It was sucking air and the my saw was running away from me.
PP09.jpg

They are great saw's, I do agree. That's why I want to put it back together and continue using it. My P42 was the first saw I ever laid hand's on. It was my learning device. Nor do I want to let it go.

Back together.

Well I picked up the power head from the local Saw shop yesterday. I had them install the barrel back on the power head.

PP10.jpg

So I spent about an hour this morning putting it all back together. Well it is back together now. Has really strong compression. I did have a weak spark before I changed out the spark plug, so now I have nothing. Carb is spitting out plenty of fuel. Too much I reckon. It ran for maybe 20 seconds on the first pull, now nothing. I hope the magneto isn't all jack strawed on me. Anywho. Anyone out there with the IPL and manual for this. I need to know what spacing specs are between the magneto and the fly wheel. But this is what it looks like now. I'm going to have to craft my own carb elbow to run a stack.
PP16.jpg

PP17.jpg

PP18.jpg

P42

I'd sure like to know what kind of clutch you have on that saw, it sure doesn't look like a P42 original.
The carb and magneto are still available if you need them. Make sure the kill-switch wire is OK. Try putting both carb screws in all the way and then backing them out 1 turn each. It's a good place to start with those Walbros. They are simple saws that love to start and run. If they don't work properly then usually the carb needs to be cleaned and the metering lever set, or the magneto needs to be replaced. The first thing I would try though is a brand new spark plug. I've been led down the garden path too many times by using two crappy ones in a row, so now I always start with a new plug when troubleshooting. Nice, fresh gas always helps, too.

Last edited:
I'd sure like to know what kind of clutch you have on that saw, it sure doesn't look like a P42 original.
The carb and magneto are still available if you need them. Make sure the kill-switch wire is OK. Try putting both carb screws in all the way and then backing them out 1 turn each. It's a good place to start with those Walbros. They are simple saws that love to start and run. If they don't work properly then usually the carb needs to be cleaned and the metering lever set, or the magneto needs to be replaced. The first thing I would try though is a brand new spark plug. I've been led down the garden path too many times by using two crappy ones in a row, so now I always start with a new plug when troubleshooting. Nice, fresh gas always helps, too.

Well the tag on the bottom states that it's a P42CBW. My father bought it back in 1983 brand new and said thats what was on the side, P42. I did get a new spark plug this morning and still no spark. I rechecked the gap space and its within specs. Still no gap. The carb was way out of tune. Both needles were maxed out and gas was pouring out of the exhaust. Oops. But I back them all the way in, then out just a touch. Thank you for the info. Monday I'm going to call about the magneto. Thanks again.

Clutch

I thought that I had remembered something about an improved clutch for these saws, so I skimmed through the Pioneer/Partner service bulletins and found which clutch you have there. The bulletin is dated October 1986 and states:

"New style clutch assy p/n 476191
It offers:
(A) higher engagement speed which will allow for a smoother idle speed with less risk of the clutch patially engaging, preventing "chattering", and
(B) a lower slip speed which will transmit more torque during demanding felling or bucking procedures."

It's a little strange to me that Poulan went back to the original clutch after they took over, and didn't offer this so-called improved one. I'd like to get my hands on one just to see if I'd notice the difference. The clutch that you have is more similar to many other modern clutches with the two coil springs instead of the single band spring. Also funny that it looks a lot like the old Pioneer clutches from the 50's and 60's. I'm guessing that if you needed to replace parts for your clutch that they would be difficult to come by and that you'd likely need to replace it with the original style. Even so, it's a rare setup that you are lucky to have.

pict and numbers on coil? i have a odd ??pioneer ?? coil that may fit:)

I took off the side cover, used a multi meter to see if the magneto was putting out spark. It was, but so little you couldn't even see anything in a dark room. So now I do need a new one. Joy.... From wwwDOTrottmansalesDOTcom, PN# is 476339, ignition module black. Fits models P39 - P62's. Poulan models Pro 405, 405+, 455, 525, 655, 655 BP, KS-614. I have to call him tomorrow to see if he has one in stock. If not, I's SOL. I guess I will have to mod one from a complete other saw. I really would hope you have one. Here are some pictures of the coil and the fly wheel. Enjoy yall and thank you for the help.

PP19.jpg

PP20.jpg

PP21.jpg

PP22.jpg

PP23.jpg

PP24.jpg

PP25.jpg

coil

If you are interested in a used one, there's one for sale of Ebay. The item# is 140084402383. $35 including shipping. If that doesn't work for you then I may be able to find you one.

I just set up my fleebay account. I'm going to email him to get some more details on the item. Tomorrow night, I should know if I will purchase that item or look else where. Again, thank you very much for the help. Wish I could mail ya a pack of beer for the help.
:cheers:

You should be able to get a new one from a Poulan/Pro dealer if you can find a dealer who is willing to go to the effort. They are over $100 from the dealer.

I don't even know if we have a dealer around here for Poulan/Pro. But thank you for the info Pioneerman. I'm going to give rottmansales a call this morning to make sure. Again. Thank you. Its the only major piece I need to get it started.

Hi

You find a manual yet? I am betting that you haven't, so am uploading one to mediafire.

I've been wondering how to get you the service manual, so props go out to the 2 AS members who posted different manuals to that site today. LOL ... that made it very easy for me to decide!

Just as big a prop goes to PlantBiologist for sharing the file with me in the first place!

I will post the link once it finishes uploading.

HTH

Last edited:
Well I called up the Rottman place back east. For a brand new magneto. 51.50$ So I do think I shall wait until pay day to get one from him. Thank yall for the manual. Now if I can get adobe to actually work on this heep. I will look at it. Did pick up another saw today. Good old Pro Mac 700. Thing actually fired right up and ran pretty good. I just got to make a new wrap handle. The old one, well someone let battery acid drip on it. Didn't touch the saw. Oh and I need a bar and chain. :cheers: Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back