Piped Saws...WOW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the BEST threads to read here are the 3-5 year old ones. Thats what I do most of here, is read the Ole ones, I just dont bump them unless somebody is looking for something.
Was a lot of very knowledgeable speed types here back then.

Is there anyone who sells a "tuned" pipe for a 066 or are they all custom? Would this be the most cost effective upgrade to get a saw more horse power and longer life?

I think Dennis Cahoon and (Brian) Timberwolf build these pipes. You may ask them if they know someone who builds them for sale. I wanted to make one out of stainless steel and polish it to a mirror. THose guys told me the stainless would be too heavy. But it would be very cool.

Scott.

I think Dennis Cahoon and (Brian) Timberwolf build these pipes. You may ask them if they know someone who builds them for sale. I wanted to make one out of stainless steel and polish it to a mirror. THose guys told me the stainless would be too heavy. But it would be very cool.

Scott.

The worst part about stainless is it is so much more prone to crack, no problem at all on a short tube, can be a big deal on an expansion chamber.

Hey scott,
What are your thoughts abut making a compleat muffler for me out of stainless?

Hey scott,
What are your thoughts abut making a compleat muffler for me out of stainless?

I have wondered about it myself. Just making a flat plate and bolting it into the holes that the cover would go into. Not sure if you need that 1 inch or so for any type of expansion or rebound, that the cover gives you. Only one way to find out.

Scott.

It's not that the stainless it's self is any amount heavier than regular steel, but I think a workable thickness that would be resistant enough to cracking and realistically weldable would add some weight. A lot more difficult metal to work with, but I did see a bit of scrap stainless sheet at the junkyard, I may just have to pick it up and try it.

Scott, I think it might have an edge on just a muffler, but with too much volume in the header, the exhaust would tend to mix up with the fresh charge, so you would be pumping both exhaust and fresh charge back in with the pipe effect, also the wave action would be messed up at the header and pulse strength lost. Now if the bolt on piece was made to align well with the exhaust flange, that would help. Also with the back of the muffler in place, it is going to be tight to make the turn without the pipe hanging out infront of the saw.

Last edited:
im000222.jpg

im000226.jpg

Now thats some real eye candy. :cheers:

What ever happened to race saws I have seen posted by you in the past?

Just got the pm. Thanks

Who's the big husky?

Last edited:
Brian,
If you want to practice a little before you start on a compleat pipe, I want a stainless box muffler for a 101. Do you have any type of fomula for something like that??

I can work numbers for box mufflers, given enough info from the engine. Got to admit I have not messed much with those 101 style
engines though.

Brain,

When I get thu putting it togeather I'll send it to you if you want, I'm sure it will be fun to play with.:chainsawguy:

It's just a stock 101, with the reeds an intake off the sp125. I may change to a V4 and larger carb later.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Romeo,
I'm thinking we can depend on that for the next five as well :hmm3grin2orange:

later

Last edited:
I would love to see how fast a full on harvester could cut with a race chain.
I bet it would give those V8s a fright!
And would draw a crowd at a GTG

SEVEN years old and Still fast!!!!!! Lets see some pipe saw vids!!!! Here's one of Donnie's runs from this summer......

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid176.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fw195%2FTroutfisher_photo%2F2009%2520Competition%2Fdonhotsaw.mp4">

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to have a pipe

For my EHP 346. Seeing how it is the only saw that i own that is not stock.. A pipe on any of my other saws would be like trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Latest posts

Back