Piston & cylinder failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bfletch

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen something like this before? It's from a cutoff saw, but there are similarities.

Exhaust side

Attachments

• 20201125_193019.jpg
    20201125_193019.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • 20201125_193045.jpg
    20201125_193045.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
I’ve Never seen the skirt crack like that but maybe from fines washing down the cylinder walls. Letting the piston slap around and catch the exhaust port???. What cutoff saw is that off of?

Intake side

Attachments

• 20201125_193030.jpg
    20201125_193030.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 20201125_193054.jpg
    20201125_193054.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Yes - K760. I'm not sure about the bearing, I'll have to look at it again.
Could be what the fellas above are saying, they prob have more experience than me. I’ve seen the skirts crack on race bikes with crazy hours just no saws yet. Makes sense though especially it being a cutoff saw. What I was getting at is if either big end rod bearing or wrist pin bearing is bad I’ve seen them smack the crank lobes and do this.

I have seen that happen multiple times on cut off saws with very high hours on them. The last one I worked on that had a broken skirt like yours the crank had movement because the bearings were shot. I have seen it on both Stihl and Husqvarna cut offs.

Brant,
I was going to ask you why you needed a crank when you bought the one from me, because I figured if your crank was trashed, the whole engine was likely worn. I was thinking that maybe you broke one of the crank ends off. These concrete saws live a terrible life, in the lot of 14 I bought some were only 2 yrs old and trashed. I do think I have some good cylinders if yours is too worn out, but I don't think I have any pistons that are good enough to sell, maybe a freebie, that will work, I do have a couple sets of rings, and crank seals, since you are digging in deep.

Interesting. I bought the saw as a project. It doesn't seem to have high hours, the plastics are in super good shape. Must just have been put through the ringer.

Here's inside the crankcase and bearings

Attachments

• 20201125_203300.jpg
    20201125_203300.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 20201125_203256.jpg
    20201125_203256.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Brant,
I was going to ask you why you needed a crank when you bought the one from me, because I figured if your crank was trashed, the whole engine was likely worn. I was thinking that maybe you broke one of the crank ends off. These concrete saws live a terrible life, in the lot of 14 I bought some were only 2 yrs old and trashed. I do think I have some good cylinders if yours is too worn out, but I don't think I have any pistons that are good enough to sell, maybe a freebie, that will work, I do have a couple sets of rings, and crank seals, since you are digging in deep.
Hey, thanks for the offer. I went in on this with the idea of getting a new piston and cylinder, which I did get from the dealer. I however, wasn't expecting this blown up piston, and the advice was to replace the bottom end too. The seals come in an entire gasket set (case, cylinder, intake, & exhaust) & bearings aren't that much. I just couldn't justify a new crank.

Hey, thanks for the offer. I went in on this with the idea of getting a new piston and cylinder, which I did get from the dealer. I however, wasn't expecting this blown up piston, and the advice was to replace the bottom end too. The seals come in an entire gasket set (case, cylinder, intake, & exhaust) & bearings aren't that much. I just couldn't justify a new crank.
Good to hear.

Latest posts

Back