Piston goes which way round?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A ring compressor is not needed. Anybody who uses a ring compressor is stupid. I have been a small engine mechanic for..... Ah, who am I kidding, Im just a silly kid :hmm3grin2orange:

I hope I don't start another controversy but in my opinion it's probably not needed on most 2 cycle engines. Most of the ones I've installed can be compressed with the fingers and most are just one or two rings and they're not thick like automobile rings are. You also have to be careful to keep the rings aligned with the alignment pins when installing.

I agree I've never used a compressor either. I know a pro 2-stroke engine builder and he doesn't use them. The rings are so small and the cylinder lead in is tapered anyway to help you out.

A ring compressor is not needed. Anybody who uses a ring compressor is stupid. I have been a small engine mechanic for..... Ah, who am I kidding, Im just a silly kid :hmm3grin2orange:

wiggs! are you feeling froggy today! LOL! :biggrinbounce2:

It's nice to see you've kept your sense of humor! That's why I started my answer about the ring compressor the way I did. I've been called an idiot so much that it's starting to hurt!

I know this is a very old post, but I'd like to know how the engine came out if it was indeed honed. For future reference, you DO NOT hone a 2 stroke cylinder. If you want to try it, make sure you have a back up to replace it when it's out of spec. and you've lost compression.

Back