Piston Ring mystery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneHeckOfAFeller

Reaction score
Sorry for the total newb question here. I just bought a second hand Echo CS-590 (Timberwolf) and was going through the disassembling process to clean it up. My MO is to remove all covers, remove carb, clean everything thoroughly over a couple of hours, use compressed air to get it as clean as possible, then button everything back up.
When I removed the muffler to clean the top of the crank case I took a peek at the cylinder and saw the attached. Looks like the piston ring it missing. Would you agree that it is missing? The saw started and ran fine when the seller gave it to me. How can it run with a missing piston ring? Any thoughts from the fine folks at arborist site?

thanks in advance for supporting me while I learn. My background is mechanical but in big engines (like in Land Cruisers), just now learning the small engine stuff. BF6ACBCB-10B9-4940-B413-89093EDD73DF.jpeg
1821662C-FC1D-461E-9709-F7D6331DC848.jpeg

Thanks. I was looking for a black rubber ring. Quick internet search shows a metal spring loaded ring. That may be okay. Not sure why the piston has those horizontal bands across it. All other 590 pistons online have smooth piston walls.

Back