plagued birch trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmthdh

Reaction score
We have quite a few birch on our property and I noticed holes bored into one of them. They are from the bottom up to about four feet. Is there anything I can do to save these birch?

What kind of holes please? Sapsucker holes are concentrated in a close pattern, and the sap can be seen to be/have been flowing freely.

Others? White birch or yellow birch?

plagued birch

We think they are white birch. The holes start at the bottom of the tree, no sap, maybe some sawdust like wood at the opening of the holes. Dan thought it was the woodpeckers at first. But I don't see them at the bottom of trees. They may be an inch to 4 or so inches apart, 1/8th of an inch or smaller in diameter, and seem to be on the south side of the tree. Two of the trees have these holes. Also after comparing with other woodpecker damaged trees the holes aren't the same. Thanks for writing.

If the tissue is dead on the south side of the tree (frost kill?), you may be seeing some bark beetles moving into the dead tissue. Maybe you have a lazy woodpecker. :D

Back