Planting hardwoods after pine harvest

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden_Gekko

Reaction score
i have an area of my wood lot that is all pine trees, purposely planted in rows by a previous owner . The rest of the woods is hardwood. The pine tree stand is not doing well - lots of wind thrown, standing dead and dying trees.

I'd like to start removing sections of this stand and replant with seedling oaks, hickories and maple. Any special issues I need to consider? Any problem following pines with these species? (Eg, have the pines made the soil too acidic,etc?)

Here in California I pull at least 200 to 300 Oak up every year on just a half acre. I wish you could have some. One particular Oak I have tried to remove three times, but keeps coming back. Thanks

I've heard mixed reports about conifers and soil pH, some saying they make the soil acidic, others saying not. May be dependent on soil origins. Get a pH kit at your local garden centre, and check.

Probably worth your time to find out why the pine are failing. See if you have a local woodlot association. Or try your county extension agent.

Latest posts

Back