PLEASE help us trim this young tree correctly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Sharpe

Reaction score
Hello,

May I please have advise and and or direction on how to prune the Jacaranda shown in the attached picture.

The tree is still very new, roughly 2 - 3 years in the ground. Soon after planting the tree the center stalk broke off leaving only the 2 side branches. These remaining branches, roughly 30 feet tall (same as palm tree in picture), have minimal secondary limbs and leaves.

Should both stalks be pruned, just 1 or none at all?

Would it be helpful to graft in additional limbs? if so, should grafts be done to both stalks in multiple locations or just one or two placed in a certain location?

I thank you in advance for any and all direction here.

Aaron Sharpe
St Petersburg, FLA

Attachments

• Jacaranda tree.jpg
    Jacaranda tree.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
That's the strangest looking jacaranda I've ever seen. There's nothing to prune except topping it, which would be bad. I've never heard of grafting on jacarandas; that's something usually done only on fruit trees and other cultivated variety selections. I'd just wait to see if it makes any more branches on its own and try not to water it too much so it doesn't get any more spindly.

Back