please help with home addition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william mays

Reaction score
we are adding on to our house. there is a white oak tree close to our area of expansion. it is 46” in diameter at breast height. if we were to build close to this tree.. like say 5’, is that dangerous? please help! thx!

Real rough rule of thumb...measure the circumference of the tree. You want to be that far away. Closer and you are cutting anchoring roots. Even at that far on and old tree you can cause damage it may not recover from. Need to be careful to not add fill over the roots at all.

Without an onsite inspection I would caution against. Being that size it will be an older tree and more sensitive to site changes and less responsive to treatments that would help it recover from the root damage that will occur. Also you could be turning a $1,000 removal into a $5,000 removal. My experience is that people leave trees too close to their homes. I'm a tree guy, I love trees, but it is hard on a home when a tree is left too close to it.

Latest posts

Back