please share with my what reuseable fittings you use with success

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erwin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ever since I got my bucket truck I've always been puzzled by this. The last owner installed a reuseable splice on the broken upper supply line (1/2 inch hose?) and it blown on me the second day I got it. I replace it with a brand new 500 dollar hose. a few days ago, I managed to "barely, just barely" touched the smaller (3/8 or 5/16 not sure) hose with my chainsaw for the upper joint and it started leaking soon after. I brought a small piece to an local industrial hydraulic shop (John Henry Foster). The guy sold me a reuseable coupling. I'm sure that I installed it correctly. It start to leak just a few hours into it. then I cut out some length and re-installed it, same thing!

my question here: are there any fittings you guys found that work well with the bucket truck hoses (Dura-Flex?). I assume that the reason for my failure is that the fittings I bought are for rubber hoses which are a little bit bigger in diameter and less sclik and bond to the fitting better. Is there such thing specificly made for bucket truck use? can't find anything online. Would really appreciate any input. Thx. Erwin

You Barely hit it with your chain saw, and you assume the reason for your failure is the fittings you bought, you don't barely hit something with a chain saw,
That is what jumped out at me, sorry, not to be mean,
Anyway, what is the date of your last annual inspection, you certainly know that, right?
Jeff

Sorry that I did not make it more clear. I "touched” it with the blade of my saw. The hose is only couple year old. I just hate to have to buy a new one and going through all the trouble installing it. If u know the answer to the question I'm asking, PLEASE help out. Thx. Erwin

Any, good ideas to share? I made some measurement last night. Here are the dimensions:

the slick orange colored supply hose for my upper joint: ~ 0.4 inch ID; ~0.6375 OD.
the 3/8" black rubble hose for my bandit 250 feed wheel motor: 0.375 ID; 0.66 OD

Sorry that I did not make it more clear. I "touched” it with the blade of my saw. The hose is only couple year old. I just hate to have to buy a new one and going through all the trouble installing it. If u know the answer to the question I'm asking, PLEASE help out. Thx. Erwin

Sure, after you tell the date of your last inspection,
Jeff

Jeff. I assume that u had an other good day today. And, even some of the days it were not that great, I sincerely hope that someone step up and help u out.

I do NOT need and want help from people like you. When I help people I just help people. I'm not in the place to judge. So, good day!

Here is the answer I found out from a friend I just made at the Parker Shop. I'd like to just leave it here to help Someone out in the future who will not need to waste the amount of time I did doing research and also will not need to be judged by people like you.

If u have a fairly new hose damaged by rub and torn and measures about 0.4 inch ID and 0.6375 inch OD, go to a Parker store and get these two fittings, a male and a female:

Parker fitting

20651-6-6
20351-6-6

I just tested and I worked well. Erwin

Jeff. I assume that u had an other good day today. And, even some of the days it were not that great, I sincerely hope that someone step up and help u out.

I do NOT need and want help from people like you. When I help people I just help people. I'm not in the place to judge. So, good day!

Here is the answer I found out from a friend I just made at the Parker Shop. I'd like to just leave it here to help Someone out in the future who will not need to waste the amount of time I did doing research and also will not need to be judged by people like you.

If u have a fairly new hose damaged by rub and torn and measures about 0.4 inch ID and 0.6375 inch OD, go to a Parker store and get these two fittings, a male and a female:

Parker fitting

20651-6-6
20351-6-6

I just tested and I worked well. Erwin

So 3/8" hose. Part #s for hydraulic are somewhat standardized. The -6, -6 means 3/8" fitting, 3/8" hose.

What a relief to finally hear someone sharing productive thought, thx. Yes, it must be 3/8" from the part number. What throw me off is the hose ID is 13/32.

Dont they have covers that go over the hoses? I couldn't cut a hose on on our booms if I tried...
splicing hoses on a boom is stupid whole hose or go home how much is your life worth? Treat your equipment with respect so it don't kill you

Oh oh, now he will link you with me, he obviously running a cheap boom and probably never had it inspected,
He won't say if he did or when, so I treat him as a hack and a troll,
Jeff :cool:

Wow! What a enthusiasm! 3 heated reply within 5 min to one follow up! You must be waiting for this. Good for you Jeff. I know your kids will grow up just like you, good language and great attitude for life!

No-tree-to-big, thx for your advice. I do take safety seriously. It's indeed just a patch for a few days till I get the new hose. A workable quick fix (yet reliable by industry std) in the tool box is all we want except for noble ones like Jeff. I assume that guys like him will call moble hydraulic repair truck every time he has a leak. Good for him. Erwin

Wow! What a enthusiasm! 3 heated reply within 5 min to one follow up! You must be waiting for this. Good for you Jeff. I know your kids will grow up just like you, good language and great attitude for life!

No-tree-to-big, thx for your advice. I do take safety seriously. It's indeed just a patch for a few days till I get the new hose. A workable quick fix (yet reliable by industry std) in the tool box is all we want except for noble ones like Jeff. I assume that guys like him will call moble hydraulic repair truck every time he has a leak. Good for him. Erwin

Just stop it, I have nothing against you,
my problem is with why you can not handle and control your saw and you ( barely touch) a hose,
Stop playing the victim and man up,
Jeff

As a matter of fact we do call a mobile repair truck, or the truck gets taken out of service for a hydraulic leak.

I have no desire getting stuck in the bucket 60' in the air, trying to coach a no brain groundie on how to toss a throwbag up, so I can get my climbing gear and rappel out of the bucket.

Sure. I can drop it. Matter of fact, I already wrapped up this thread and provided solution to the very question I came here for. You are the one looking for opportunity trying to justify your rudeness you displayed early on. If I were a hack or troll as u called me, I could've given u a fake date or number if I want to. However I know u u won't believe me either ways.

As to playing victim, oh NO., not at all. I strive to be civil and kid to people. However Civility and kindness never equal weakness. I never feel victimized when I end up in a bullying situation. Just the opposite, it makes me stronger.

I have no desire getting stuck in the bucket 60' in the air, trying to coach a no brain groundie on how to toss a throwbag up, so I can get my climbing gear and rappel out of the bucket.

Back in the day when I had a bucket truck (or EVERY time I rent an aerial device) I always wear my climbing belt rather than a fall harness, and I always take a rope & other goodies with me. Yes, I know. Not very protective if ejected, but a hell of a lot better for decending from a broken lift. Furthermore, I can always bail out of the bucket into a tree for places where the bucket doesn't work.

Damn near every time I rent an aerial the damn thing strands me. It doesn't seem to matter where I rent it, either. I just have bad luck.

By the way: the last time I borrowed/rented a truck, I got to test how well the emergency check valves on the 2nd boom worked. :surprised3:
It seems that the owner installed a "screw on" hydraulic fitting into the middle of a damaged hydraulic line. It popped off and I was stuck at about 45' up. I descended, figured out what was wrong, and then reinstalled the fitting correctly. :dumb2:

Wearing a climbing belt instead of a fall arrest harness is against Worksafe BC regulations aka illegal. If you're going to wear a climbing belt, you have to wear the fall arrest harness overtop.

Wearing a climbing belt instead of a fall arrest harness is against Worksafe BC regulations aka illegal. If you're going to wear a climbing belt, you have to wear the fall arrest harness overtop.

What is a "Worksafe BC"? I've never heard of such a thing. I guess could be specific to tree climbing though. I cut trees from the ground, generally while sitting in a heated cab listening to the radio. :D

Latest posts

Back