Plunge cuts with a dime tip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weeeee

Reaction score
New guy here and very new to carving. I have only carved a few things so far, some mushrooms and pumpkins. I did these with a regular bar on a Husky 345 and Sthil MS170.

I recently bought a Woodland Pro 12" dime tip carving bar from baileys on sale with the conversion parts for my MS170. I played around with it a bit to get used to it and then decided I wanted to make some log lanterns I saw pictures of. I had to do a plunge cut to hollow out the log. Wow does that tip of the bar get hot fast! I tried to do it with the regular bar but it would kick too much. I have the dime tip bar chain pretty slack to help with cooling but would stop after it would start to smoke too much and let it cool down. Any tips on either how to keep it cool or another way to hollow the log out?

The log was about 9" diameter, and I had it strapped down to a saw horse to keep it from moving.

Thanks, I will give that a try! I don't have a bench belt sander but I can mount my handheld belt sander somewhere and that should work.

I have some chains like that too. Also smoother in general. I bought mine years ago from a guy already done. It was only pennies more per link at that time.

Latest posts

Back