PM Canadien

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That piston will probably clean up. If not, we can find you another one.

I have seen other people use worse, just not good at makin that call myself yet. I will get a better pic when the jug is off. the intake side of the cylinder seems to have some light marks also as I look in the exhaust port, but I don't think they are an issue.

The rings sure are thick on this saw.

I prolly should have done a common saw until I had more experience, but this saw called to me.

I have seen other people use worse, just not good at makin that call myself yet. I will get a better pic when the jug is off. the intake side of the cylinder seems to have some light marks also as I look in the exhaust port, but I don't think they are an issue.

The rings sure are thick on this saw.

I prolly should have done a common saw until I had more experience, but this saw called to me.

This one is as good to learn on as any other. Rings are easy. Hastings has rings.

well, I am a wimp and did not go to the woods today, kinda cold here, but mostly my sinuses told me to stay home and I thought maybe I could make some progress on the saw- unfortunately after cleaning on it a little more I found a crack just forward of the rear handle, above the fuel tank

I see often 'no pics, did not happen' well, maybe if I don't take a pic it will go away ??

picture later tonight

Cool old saw. Glad it has spark.

Am I far off in thinking that, except for how the laminates mount, the ignition bears a striking resemblance to the McCulloch coils?

That will be nice when you've rebuilt it,those old Canadien's really sounded different when they run,more of a growl than a scream... I've got a 275 I'm gonna restore.
Do you know what model that is yet? I've got a repair manual with data on the 175,177,270,271,275,and 276,so if any of it's relevant to you I can forward it.

Most of the old saws were Phelon or Wico ignition,parts common in other machines.

If anyone knows where a 275 Canadien piston is I'll pay dearly for it. I'm going to follow up a lead on a guy in Victoria who said he worked in the Canadien factory and had a buncha new stuff,but I'm afraid he's dead now.:frown:

That will be nice when you've rebuilt it,those old Canadien's really sounded different when they run,more of a growl than a scream... I've got a 275 I'm gonna restore.
Do you know what model that is yet? I've got a repair manual with data on the 175,177,270,271,275,and 276,so if any of it's relevant to you I can forward it.

Thanks for the offer ! pretty sure it is a 187, but I did not confirm, figued I would keep doing the obvious stuff first, then get serious

Most of the old saws were Phelon or Wico ignition,parts common in other machines.

If anyone knows where a 275 Canadien piston is I'll pay dearly for it. I'm going to follow up a lead on a guy in Victoria who said he worked in the Canadien factory and had a buncha new stuff,but I'm afraid he's dead now.:frown:

All you had to do was ask! :)

PM on the way......

cylinder looks OK compared to what I have seen here on AS- I did not clean it yet-

attachment.php

attachment.php

here is the crack I found hidden under the grime, not sure what to do- suggestions ??

suggestions
attachment.php
??

Last edited:
It could be welded,doesn't look too bad,probably magnesium,but someone here likely has one for you.
How many cc's is that saw?

think it is 95cc's-

I could always put it back in a clean box, postpone a decision and check the next project. This might happen, not sure what to do, but I am encouraged that several have given this saw a thumbs up.

Not a welder myself, but I can check around.

looked the saw over a little closer, and cleaned on the cylinder a little, not sure the pic shows well, but there was some damage around the squish band, so I looked at the top of the piston, some spots, not too bad. Then checked the piston closer- intake skirt is blown away, nice clean break maybe 1/4 the diameter on the intake side, lower. Did not even look close enough last night to see it- just checked the exhaust side. Nothing in the crankcase, so must have been cleaned out. I suppose somebody did the same as I am doing, but 20 or 30 years earlier and put it back together as not worth fixing.

If that is the case, they sure did not clean it up :)

Well, now I gotta think how much funds should go into this thing, larger saw, so I might revisit the idea of going thru it. Have a few others that could be attended to.

Sleep on it-

Looks like a 187- well worth restoring. I have a few NOS parts if you end up needing anything.

That piston will probably clean up. If not, we can find you another one.

By any chance have you PMed Jacob J? ;)

The purest aren't going to like this suggestion.....on the piston damage....you might want to check where it aligns in the cylinder....if the necessary ports are blocked at the right time....you 'might' be able use that one..... .

On the crack in the handle....have you checked the phone book for welding shops? You might want to check autobody shops...they might have a tig.....

Back