PM Canadien

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m going to finish tearing down a Canadien 170 chainsaw to restore. On the flywheel nut and clutch nut, is the threads right hand or left hand threads? I’ve never taken one of these apart before and I don’t want to mess anything up.
450f7e66bb106b76ede2edc2a3f7cf19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just checked my 175 it is left hand thread

I’ve been playing around with what I believe is a PM340. I got it to start today which was great. Smoked the yard out in a hurry! I figured the bar oil must be making its way into the crankcase somehow.
Just popped the bottom cover off and I see there is a diaphragm in there. Is this connecting to the crankcase and using the pulse to automatically pump or just the diaphragm for the manual?

Attachments

• 66062B0B-E89C-42E6-AD0A-B3ECFB216021.jpeg
    66062B0B-E89C-42E6-AD0A-B3ECFB216021.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 72AC76EA-6B10-44F3-8776-50A572965960.jpeg
    72AC76EA-6B10-44F3-8776-50A572965960.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
I’ve been playing around with what I believe is a PM340. I got it to start today which was great. Smoked the yard out in a hurry! I figured the bar oil must be making its way into the crankcase somehow.
Just popped the bottom cover off and I see there is a diaphragm in there. Is this connecting to the crankcase and using the pulse to automatically pump or just the diaphragm for the manual?
Just got the answer to my own question. When I spin the flywheel the diaphragm moves up and down. Definitely a crankcase pulse operated oiling system. What are the chances that one of these pump diaphragms can be found on this planet to replace this one......? Is it possible to block off the crankcase port and seal it off with a hand cut gasket and just use the manual pump?

Started working on a PM 380, the piston looks good, missing the recoil so I took one off a 275.
Removed the plug, gave it a sqirt and pull it fired but ripped the rope out of my hand. Put on gloves gave it another half dozen tries I'd did the same thing every time. Lots of compression in this saw, hands and shoulder are sore from that beast.
I think it's firing too early, pulled the flywheel, it's been sitting awhile.IMG_3532.JPG

Started working on a PM 380, the piston looks good, missing the recoil so I took one off a 275.
Removed the plug, gave it a sqirt and pull it fired but ripped the rope out of my hand. Put on gloves gave it another half dozen tries I'd did the same thing every time. Lots of compression in this saw, hands and shoulder are sore from that beast.
I think it's firing too early, pulled the flywheel, it's been sitting awhile.View attachment 888704
Looks like someone left a wig in there.

Very nice saw. What paint did you end up using? I found a CaseIH rattle can that is a very close match to some NOS parts I have. You do have that handlebar and brackets, correct?
Thanks I just put the handle bar back on last night still needs a few things, missing 1 clutch spring, complete recoil and Muffler.
I will keep watching. Sprayed with Zinc Chromate primer Then used rustolem heirloom white then a high temp clear coat if gas sits on it it won't last, but if it's wiped off not a problem. Seems to get harder the longer it's on.

Back