Pneumatic Launcher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TackleTree said:
cool! Kind of reminds me of the potatoe gun from back in my black sheep days. How did you come up with conversion for psi=distance?
Good question. That shot was accurate. Ya, the ole potato gun is my need. My buddies would really look up to me if I showed next 4th of July with that rocket launcher.

Smoking inbention, patent it asap. make it smaller. and sell it like hot cakes you will. good job. How much will it cost me if you made me one?
Im close to buying a big shot but whoa I like this better.

Thanks guys... the flashlight?... that was a 12 volt portable compressor with a light. As far as the psi/height conversions, I loaded the gun every 5 psi and measured the height.
Currently I am working on a smaller version. I found that as long as I get the air chamber/ barrel volumes at a certain ratio, I can get approx. the same heights but lose only a little accuracy.

want smaller and safer?
don't use PVC to store the compressed air... use a fire extinguisher cannister instead. or you can try one of those small air tanks used to hold emergency air to fill up flat tires.

Smoking invention, you can sell it to fire depts. who currently take hours to rescue us.

What a great invention/idea.

Using tennis balls hey, do you get much bounce if you hit the stem etc?

Good on ya. :rock:

Well Ekka, the tennis balls are only somewhat filled with lead shot, so they kinda act like a deadblow hammer. (Very little bounce, about that of your typical leather or vinyl throw bag.)

You'll have to make a shoulder mounted bazooka model for those redwoods. Like good for say 200', people will be queuing up to use it.

This one is shoulder mounted. I'll show you a picture..... and it shoot to over 300' !!!

OOOHHH BOY, OH BOY. I love these things. I've built 6 or 8 pneumatic cannons similar to this but never one for launching throw bags (though the idea has crossed my mind before). I can tell you from experience, the reason PVC is not recommended for compressed air is it's tendency to fail catastrophically from fatigue. I have an 1 1/2" scar on my forearm from the last high pressure launcher I made and I was LUCKY that was all I got. What was left of the part that failed looked like shrapnel and this was only at 90 psi. I'll dig up some pics and post more later.

Here's one from a few years back. It's actually the one that blew up also. The 4 - 2 reducer on the end was the culprit. My newest high pressure gun is made from copper with a 300 psi+ minimum rating. My compressor only does 150 psi so I'm safe.

Thats a big gun. Is it pneumatic or gas... maps and propane? Do you have pics of your copper gun?

I'll show grab a pic of my first explosive potato gun and post it soon.

What Thu

:censored: !!

(Hey I was watching an episode of "My Name is Earl" the other week and the cops had a shot bag launcher they used to whack some guy silly on a balcony anyone know of these?)

Bearclaw said:
Thats a big gun. Is it pneumatic or gas... maps and propane? Do you have pics of your copper gun?

I'll show grab a pic of my first explosive potato gun and post it soon.

Pneumatic. It operates by way of a blow back pistion housed in the rear the 4" pressure chamber. The 2" barrel runs inside the pressure chamber to with in 6" of the clean-out cap where the piston can seat against it when it's charged. The copper gun is not 100% complete but operational. No pics at the moment but I'll get some. It's 9 feet long overall.

Last edited:
Back