Points . . . wasn't expecting that . . .conversion to module?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have been busy cutting and splitting a couple of fallen oaks near our cabin. Was using the MS440 on the trunks, but went to my 028 for the limbs since the longer bar wasn't needed and my 440 is a bear to start, even with decomp valve (my arms aren't what they used to be). It ran great for a while but started bogging down at WOT after coming up to running temperature. This got to be predictable, so I opened the fuel cap, checked tank vent, checked fuel line integrity and put on a new fuel filter. Nothing changed, so I got a new coil ( 0000 400 1300 ). Was getting ready to install it, but since the saw was an early production model, I decided to pull the flywheel and found points. I would like to convert it to electronic ignition module, but I'm not sure exactly what I need to change and/or remove. Flywheel is 1118 400 1205.
20200917_155510.jpg 20201017_204520.jpg

What does the points finger ride on?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I’d say keep the points. I have just fixed a conversion to electronic someone did in the 70-80’s and I returned it back to points.

If you are adamant on going to electronic, check you have no more than 2 flywheel magnets or it won’t work with some modules.

Personally, I’d get new points and condenser, gap and adjust them (very easy) and enjoy the saw.

028 at wot.... sounds like the carb was setup for a different temperature rather than a host of different issues. But cleaning points always helps the spark!

Sure, maybe oxygen starved, bit since you are here, probably not.

IIRC, Iput a coil from a ms290 in an 028. I think it was Harley and Pioneer Guy that helped me with that. I had two SS Ignition coils from a Stihl dealer that went south on me.

You need a point setting cam tool to do the points on an 028, which most Stihl techs have never used.
Or have ever seen.
Just grab an old used coil off of an old 024,026, 029, 039, etc..
Just slap it on, and hook up the kill wire, and be done with it. No need to tear up the saw trying to pull the flywheel, or anything!!!

Here, I dug out these relics. I called up the Stihl tech guys at the dist. about 10 years ago to see if they knew how I could tell which cam tool went to which model, as I was going to sell them on E-bay, and the one kid had no idea what I was talking about. He went to get an old guy to talk to me, and he just said, "Sell the guy a new saw!!!"
p 002.JPG

I’d say keep the points. I have just fixed a conversion to electronic someone did in the 70-80’s and I returned it back to points.

If you are adamant on going to electronic, check you have no more than 2 flywheel magnets or it won’t work with some modules.

Personally, I’d get new points and condenser, gap and adjust them (very easy) and enjoy the saw.
I'm with you on this, I've had FAR more electronic ignitions act up or fail than points. They hold up better to time and heat, in my experience.

I would also be very surprised if the WOT bog was caused by the coil, any coil I've ever had going bad simply loses spark completely when hot, I have not once had a failing coil cause a weak spark and a bog. But I've never worked on a Stihl with points. WOT bog when hot I would continue to focus on fuel / air delivery, or crank seals.

Thanks, guys. There's no problem with fuel delivery or air flow. It revs to specs and cuts great for about three cuts into a 14" log. then comes the bogging. Sometimes it will go back to full rev and cut half a log, but then it's the same thing again. I also thought bad coils quit completely when hot, but the points added another variable. The flywheel has two magnets; looks the same as other flywheels. @HarleyT , if I put on the new coil and wire it the usual way, can I leave the points assembly in place or do i need to remove them or disconnect any wires?

Thanks, guys. There's no problem with fuel delivery or air flow. It revs to specs and cuts great for about three cuts into a 14" log. then comes the bogging. Sometimes it will go back to full rev and cut half a log, but then it's the same thing again. I also thought bad coils quit completely when hot, but the points added another variable. The flywheel has two magnets; looks the same as other flywheels. @HarleyT , if I put on the new coil and wire it the usual way, can I leave the points assembly in place or do i need to remove them or disconnect any wires?
Just snip the wire going to the points and then just hook the kill wire to the small terminal on the coil, and that is it.

Back