Poison Ivy/Oak remedy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AHHHH! A test subject! Hey Zac, wanna help me test my Diesel and Tide theory? See my previous post and it explains what I tried. I'm curious as to whether or not it helps clear the crap up. Mine sure did seem to clear up right away. I would usually have it for days. Now, I only put it on my arms and hands, not any vital parts where I have screwed up and got it before (One of these days I will learn to wash my hands reeeeeallll good before going to the bathroom) :cry:
Oh well, just a thought. Crazy Idea??? :blob5:
And remember, the future of Poison Ivy victims depends on you.

Last edited:
Come on and be a "TEST DUMMY" for all of your friends at the AS. Let us know how it works! Will be standing by for updates!!

Well now Bushinspector, that's the term I wanted to use but heck, I'm tryin' to shmooze him into submission and figured "Dummy" would have been counter productive. :hmm3grin2orange:

:popcorn:

The homiopathic approach.........

Rub a few leaves on your toilet paper once a week until you no longer have symtoms..............:hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously,

As soon as you realize you are exposed wash with soap/detergent to remove oils, do the same with you clothes. Use cold water at first to avoid opening the pores of your skin.

Crushed jewel weed provides some relief once the oils have penatrated your skin and started the inflamation.

Technu Oak n Ivy wash

This stuff works. You can roll in poison and if you wash with Technu you will not get it. Foresty Supply sells it in QT bottles..much cheaper than the small ones at Rite Aide.

Ok, I know alot about PI cause i am VERY allergic and get it all over my arms and face EVERY fall. Ok, HOT water is bad. Do not wash in super hot water. PI is caused by oils , water makes oil melt/run/spread, and in turn, it will spread. Use COLD water when you wash your body(in a shower, not a bath) as well as your clothes, and do so ASAP. Also, for me Technu products dont work. I use a cream/scrub called Zanfel. It comes in a shiney siver and green box and you can get it at any drug store, you have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter. It runs about 35-40 dollars, but it WORKS and you get a lot of uses out of the tube. 2 washes and mine was gone. You can use it on ANY part of the body including the face. Also, if I get in bad enough, I must get put on a steroid to get it out of me(cant think of what its called):taped: . If you have tried everything, and nothing you try works. Go to the doc. Its easier for to go to the doc and get some pills and take them than to try to fart around and see what creams work or dont work.

Right on!

This stuff works. You can roll in poison and if you wash with Technu you will not get it. Foresty Supply sells it in QT bottles..much cheaper than the small ones at Rite Aide.

I dont agree with the technu stuff, im serious about the zanfel stuff though, go back and look at my big long post i made

elmnut quoted it right above this post

Last edited:
probably both, cause my uncle uses bleach on his PI, F%$K that! NOt for me, any how, the cold water also prolly helps cause hot water will make it spread

probably both, cause my uncle uses bleach on his PI, F%$K that! NOt for me, any how, the cold water also prolly helps cause hot water will make it spread

The allergens in poison ivy is caused by a class of phenolic componds called urushiols. The more potent allergens of the class contain both phenols and polyunsaturated groups which can/will react with chlorine, this MAY serve to inactivate the oils so there may be some relief from swimming pools/bleach (Those of you framiliar with organic chemisty may recall these reactions).

Hot water DOES NOT spread poison ivy, the oils involved are not water soluble. Hot water opens the pores of the skin and areas already exposed become effected. This is why some poeple think that for days after exposure (even after washing) their poison ivy rash is "spreading". It is mererly because those areas with less exposure have had enough time to elapse to allow the small(er) amount of oil to make it's way through the effected skin.

Avoiding the plants is the best thing you can do. If exposed wash immediately with detergent and COLD water to remove as much oil as possible before it has had a chance to penatrate the skin. Once it has penatrated there is little that can be done other than to take steroids to suppress the immune response (allergic reaction).

As the oils are also soluble in hydrocarbon solvents the old remedy of washing with diesel/kerosene may also help to remove the oils. Many "barrier" concoctions sold are just greasy films which hold(dissolve) the oils and reduce their penatration into the skin.

Dish detergent (or even hand soaps) will serve just as well to wash away the oils as expensive drugstore soaps. In fact you wouild be better served washing/removing the oils right away than waiting until you can get to the drugstore..........

P.S. BTW, I teach chemistry/biochemistry and unfortuneately know firsthand about poison ivy/oak

good post- i took steroids once and they gave me panic attacks-weird- i woke up in the middle of the night freaking out and it stopped when i went off the pills. The Zanfel stuff i was talking about is more like a . . . .whats it called. . . .ummmm. GoJo? its got scrubby things in it. mechanics use it to wash up with, any how, thats waht the zanfel stuff reminds me of. Its got like, and abrasive in it

long pants, long sleeve shirts, gloves, take boots off with gloves on.

everything comes off on the porch and straight to the shower. wash cold water with dawn soap and a scrubby. Fels Naptha soap works very well also.

Once you wash with Fels Naptha soap you can feel your skin cracking. Then use Oak-N-Ivy CalaGel medicated anti itch gel. Stuff is WAYY better than the runny pink stuff.

I got it bad brush clearing on my forearms. A home remedy from the net said use a blow dryer on the affected spot would alieve it for say a half hour. Also I would wash the affected area with soap and water like every hour to try and get rid of the itching.

Back