Poison Ivy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jewel weed and Poison ivy don't "always" grow together. The do both tend to be more common in moist sites...but that doesn't mean they are together. I see a lot more poison ivy than jewel weed...

Jewel weed certainly relieves the itch temporarily, but I haven't found it shorten the duration of the rash. Would be interested to hear if others have actually found that to be the case.

Washing with a rag/cloth enhances any soap as shown. I use gojo with pumice and have good results. If I miss the contact area and end up with a rash or blisters I have used bleach for many years with great results. Dampen a rag, scrub it on, wait 10 minutes and wash it off with soap and water. I even open up the blisters before applying the bleach. Unsure if there are health risks here. If the bleach is not washed off it will set up it's own irritation.
It is very important to remember that poison ivy "oil", if on your clothes, will stay there until it is washed off and will be a contact source for a long time, like a jacket that is hung on a hook in the garage and then worn again a year later.

Bicarbonate soda has a amazing get list of uses including still going irritant calmer. Kettles a wet paste, not ivy but it works wonders on bees wasps and sunburn. Blisters and peeling for a week cut I half or better with a cream like paste that dries on

Sent from my SM-T705Y using Tapatalk

Howdy! First post! When I started paddling kayaks, I discovered that my lifelong immunity to poison ivy was gone. I read everything I could find on it and found a product called "Oral Ivy". Sounded pretty sketchy, but I decided to give it a try. About two weeks after starting it I was no longer allergic. I still use it and it still works. It also shortens the length of time you have it. Here are a couple of links. It was a lifesaver for me.
Charles

http://www.oralivy.com

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...ahUKEwjPz7LXuMfPAhUM4yYKHZd2D8EQ0QwIJg&adurl=

Jewel weed and Poison ivy don't "always" grow together. The do both tend to be more common in moist sites...but that doesn't mean they are together. I see a lot more poison ivy than jewel weed...

Jewel weed certainly relieves the itch temporarily, but I haven't found it shorten the duration of the rash. Would be interested to hear if others have actually found that to be the case.

Jewel weed is the very best remedy there is. But to get the best results it's worth it to concentrate it stored in a nearby location.

I concentrate it by simmering some in 151 proof vodka. I have seen poison ivy rashes disappear in less than 24 hours when applied within 12 hours of exposure. And I have seen very severve (on the verge of hospitalization with severely swollen everything ) cases cured within 36 hours after applying this solution, even though the treatment wasn't started until several days after exposure to the ivy.

Just an update. Friday I cut an old growth pine that was covered from top to bottom with poison oak. As stated in my earlier posts I am
Highly allergic. It took a couple of hours to cut and buck the tree. Immediately after finishing I got in the shower and scrubbed of with blue dawn soap and a wash cloth. So far so good. No rash. If anything develops I will post but this seems to be a great way to prevent an outbreak if you know you have been exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update. Friday I cut an old growth pine that was covered from top to bottom with poison oak. As stated in my earlier posts I am
Highly allergic. It took a couple of hours to cut and buck the tree. Immediately after finishing I got in the shower and scrubbed of with blue dawn soap and a wash cloth. So far so good. No rash. If anything develops I will post but this seems to be a great way to prevent an outbreak if you know you have been exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So any update. I’m rashed to hell with sumac. Looking for advice

Soap and water after exposure helps a lot. I've been told, Applying the jewel weed before you get into the poison has the best results. I have no way of knowing for sure. I have applied JW after exposure and it sure seems to relieve the itching and burning.

This stuff relieves the symptoms of poision pretty well. 47939701.jpeg

Works good on itchy bug bites too. It burns for a few seconds then relieves the iching quite nicely. I used to not get blisters until I was brush cutting once and my forearms had the skin broken from some hawthorn busting them open Then bear hugging and dragging 30 or so pines with poision going 20' up and sticking out 10' .I got it a bit that day. When I work with poision I just try to take my clothes off outside and go straight to the shower, when I get home from work. I can feel the poision on me before the shower but, if I don't scratch, it usually washes right off.

Having uses Zanfel a couple more times since this thread was last updated, I am more confident in that now and have bought more. Yes, it is expensive....but when you are itching like mad it seems pretty cheap!

Scrub with it a couple of times per day as soon as you notice any sign of rash. I had a decent sized patch last summer that I started scrubbing...it was getting worse for a couple of days and seemed to be about to go full on nasty nuclear blisters. It never hit that point and 3 days later it was completely gone...just some red skin, no itching, no bumps.

Latest posts

Back