pole pruner head

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
what is the prefered brand of pole clip heard. the marvin and jameson, look identical just with different names and the marvin is alot cheaper?

Marvin is THE pruner head to get. The original!

The one that I have is over 15 years old. I've had to replace the spring a couple of times. The blade got a bad nick in it so I got a new one. Keep it sharp and lubed and you'll get plenty of years of use.

Last edited by a moderator:
just got my marvin this year (stihl badging on it tho) and its a good tool.

Florian has a ratchet head, makes big cuts clean and easy on the joints.

I personaly very rarely use a pole prunner or lopper of any type as they usualy leave a 'crushed ' type of cut/wound ,I much preffer to get on a step ladder etc etc and use the old folding silkey saw..

ROLLACOSTA said:
I personaly very rarely use a pole prunner or lopper of any type as they usualy leave a 'crushed ' type of cut/wound ,I much preffer to get on a step ladder etc etc and use the old folding silkey saw..
Rolla I don't understand; how can you make the cuts that are20' up? What about the ones that are too small to do by handsaw?

Marvin and Corona both are scissors-type cutters so tissue is not cushed. I use a Florian anvil-type head which potentially can crush tissue but I've never seen poor closure as a result. You may want to try a pole pruner; it allows you to make precise cuts efficiently in parts of the tree where ladder and climber cannot reach very well.

The pole pruner is one of my most used tools. Rarely go up in a tree without it.

For tip pruning, I don't know if you can count on a Silky all the time. That would be a lot of time climbing to the outer reaches where the diameters get below that of your wrist.

I personally prefer the Corona 1600 Bull lopper. This cuts pretty much anything less than 2" (5 cm) in diamater. The lopper has a 2:1 pulley system built in for mechanical advantage. This, you can override if you have a bunch of really small that would be quicker to do with a 1:1 system.

You can amp up the performance of any pruner head by exchanging the pull rope with a web strap. The improvement is remarkable.

The Marvin P4 is a good head-I've had mine a LONG time but I usually use the Corona 1600 "bull lopper". Guy is correct- A good pole pruner allows you to do things that really can't be accessed by ladder or climbing. Good pole pruner work can make a dramatic difference in tip weight and symmetrical appearance but usually involves doing the pruning that makes worlds of practical difference for the tree without looking like a maniac with a chainsaw passed by.

Corona 1600

The trouble I had with the Corona 1600 is the arm is so long it often hits other branches when you are trying to make a cut. I like the Friskars slide handle pruners. They can cut up to about an inch, but are fast and no moving arm or pull rope to get in the way. Everything is enclosed.

Koa Man said:
I like the Friskars slide handle pruners. They can cut up to about an inch, but are fast and no moving arm or pull rope to get in the way. Everything is enclosed.

Is that the consumer product sold at Costco?

Tree Frog said:
Is that the consumer product sold at Costco?

Yes it is. Also have seen them at Home Depot and Ace Hardware. Not a true commercial grade product, but it works very well for me.

Lifetime guarantee on the bull lopper head.
attachment.php

I see sandvic/bahco make a new very light aluminium telescopic pole 25' working height ,you can get sandvick lopper heads and saws to fit as well.I might invest in a set after christmas..

I think I have a Marvin, but I also noticed that whatever one it is, doesn't have much of an opening for a limb - maybe a 1 & 1/4" at most.

For a pro tool, I'd like to at least get a 2" cut.

Mine cuts clean, but my usual use is to lighten limbs that I plan to remove to get weight and bulk off. So it could crush while cutting and it would not matter.

My lopper style head comes out only about once per month.

Back