Pole pruner kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobMichaels007

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to replace a single pulley Fiskars pole pruner that has broken. I'm considering between the Jameson Pruning Kit (18' for $325.44 inc tax) and the Stihl PP 900 (18' with extension for $231.10 inc tax). I will probably be using the looper with a 12' pole to prune a few dozen large fruit trees and the saw with the 18' pole to cut some branches on some other trees. The Stihl costs significantly less, but I am wondering if the double pulley from Jameson would be better for pruning fruit trees. Any thoughts? Or is there another kit available in southern Ontario that I should consider? Thanks!

I am looking to replace a single pulley Fiskars pole pruner that has broken. I'm considering between the Jameson Pruning Kit (18' for $325.44 inc tax) and the Stihl PP 900 (18' with extension for $231.10 inc tax). I will probably be using the looper with a 12' pole to prune a few dozen large fruit trees and the saw with the 18' pole to cut some branches on some other trees. The Stihl costs significantly less, but I am wondering if the double pulley from Jameson would be better for pruning fruit trees. Any thoughts? Or is there another kit available in southern Ontario that I should consider? Thanks!
I have used a Jameson pole pruner for about 10 years. It’s been a very durable piece of equipment and I haven’t had a problem with it. I usually get a new saw blade every year, the 16” one being my favourite. The only downside is the pruner attachment is a bit heavy but that’s because it is well built.

Not sure which Jameson you are looking at? Ones with double pulley also have a much wider swing so they don't fit in tight spots. I like the style of pruner like the Stihl one whichever brand you do.

Brand wise, I think either of those - or Marvin or Notch will be good. Corona, ARS and AM Leonard are also decent options...

You can't beat Silky saws, so I'd be inclined to do a different brand that I can put a Silky on instead of the Stihl.

Traditional poles vs telescoping. How high will you be pruning? If 90% if your work is less than 9', then I'd get traditional poles. So everything with one pole then go back and.clean up a few things with the extension. These are much lighter than telescoping poles. Bit if you will be high and low frequently, telescoping is nice.

Back