Pole Prunner Using Too Much Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preston624

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My Stihl HT 130 pole saw goes through a full tank of bar oil for a half tank of fuel consumed. I know that there isn't an adjustment for the chain oil flow on the pole saw but this seems to be a bit excessive. I'm using the Stihl orange bottle of bar oil if that should make a difference. Do you guys with Stihl pole saws have about the same ratio of fuel to bar oil flow consumption? I'm used to my Stihl saws still having oil in the tank when I run out of gas. Maybe this is just normal and I've not noticed it before (???). Thanks.

That's a good idea. But, it would be good to know if this normal consumption and what other owners of these types of Stihl pole saws experience. Thanks for the reply.

I would say it could be normal, they have a very small reservoir and given the variety of power heads they can be used with it would be hard to make the fuel and oil use coincide. I'd say as long as the chain and bar aren't slobbering oil all over the place and it isn't leaking out then it is probably normal.

I would say it could be normal, they have a very small reservoir and given the variety of power heads they can be used with it would be hard to make the fuel and oil use coincide. I'd say as long as the chain and bar aren't slobbering oil all over the place and it isn't leaking out then it is probably normal.
Your comment makes sense to me. I guess that I'm just used to my other two (different displacement sizes) Stihl saws running out of gas while still having some oil left in the reservoir. I wonder what other users of these saws have to say. Thanks for the thoughts.

My HT-131 goes thru a lot of b/c oil. It's reservoir is small though. Just gotta keep a close eye on the oil level. ;)

It does a better job at oiling than any of my saws do.
Thank you for your reply. Does your HT-131 use more b/c oil while you still have gas left in the tank? Mine use a full tank of oil when I have about a half of a tank of gas left in the tank.

The owners manual for your pole saw states: a full chain oil tank is sufficient for only half a tank full of fuel. Chain oil capacity is 7.4oz. And fuel capacity is 18oz for your pole saw

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The owners manual for your pole saw states: a full chain oil tank is sufficient for only half a tank full of fuel. Chain oil capacity is 7.4oz. And fuel capacity is 18oz for your pole saw

Thanks for pointing that out. I must have missed reading it. I'll have to go back and reread the manual.

Found It!!! You are correct. I had overlooked that part of the manual. It does state that a full chain oil tank is sufficient for only a half of a tank full of fuel. And, that's exactly what I have been experiencing. Thank you again for bringing this to my attention.

No problem. Glad to help

Back