Pole saw recommendation and review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Pole Saw (that you've used) would you recommend? and Pro/Con

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've heard good things about the Makita telescoping saw. No real experience with the unit. I went for the Stihl KM 131 Kombi, as it was the only unit I found that offered an olive picker head, which was critical in my decision to buy one. I would have grabbed a Makita/Dolmar (4-stroke) unit otherwise. I picked 3-tons of olives last year manually (wooden sticks) and a T-425 Husky. Broke down and bought the Kombi unit toward the end of the season. We took another ton of olives after buying the Kombi and it was much quicker than the first tons. Pruning from the ground is a snap, but the Kombi unit isn't telescoping so you have to add length in extensions. I'm planning to add a one meter unit to my setup this year.

I really like the 4-mix and it runs great. The rev limiter seems a bit low, but that's probably a good thing since its a 4-stroke. A ton of torque also for a small motor.

I know this model wasn't on your list, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Stihl HT56-ce. Gave one to my father-in-law for Christmas, he has used the hell out of it (not gentle at all) and it has never skipped a beat. Starts easy, cuts great, and breaks down for easy transport. Several of my friends have this model as well, and they have had zero issues. I think it's a steal at $350View attachment 638518
I sell a great many of them to homeowners as well as a few of the smaller outfits. It is an easy sell since the pros only run Stihl.

I have 3 of the older echo pole saws that are pre-cursors to the most current generation. All of them have excellent power, are reliable to run, and very simple to work on. I think mine are 25cc engines.

I also have a Stihl HT101 that has had issues on the drive head and the 4 mix engine has carboned up after less use than it should have. I cleaned and ported the head on the engine and I am going to reassemble it one of these days and sell it to someone who wants it more than I do.

I am personally not a fan of the 4 mix engines so far... I did get this one used and it had unknown fuel and mix put through it for an unknown time. But I have worked on a bunch of other 4 mix engines from the BR500 and BR600 blowers and I can say that I don’t see much advantage to them over a good 2 stroke, especially for longevity and simplicity to run and repair.

Not on the original list but my Echo PT-260 has proven strong and reliable. Prior to picking it up I rented a pre-4mix Stihl once, HT80 or something.
I couldn't notice much difference other than I prefer the trigger handle on the Echo, just seems to balance somewhat better.

I have 3 of the older echo pole saws that are pre-cursors to the most current generation. All of them have excellent power, are reliable to run, and very simple to work on. I think mine are 25cc engines.

I also have a Stihl HT101 that has had issues on the drive head and the 4 mix engine has carboned up after less use than it should have. I cleaned and ported the head on the engine and I am going to reassemble it one of these days and sell it to someone who wants it more than I do.

I am personally not a fan of the 4 mix engines so far... I did get this one used and it had unknown fuel and mix put through it for an unknown time. But I have worked on a bunch of other 4 mix engines from the BR500 and BR600 blowers and I can say that I don’t see much advantage to them over a good 2 stroke, especially for longevity and simplicity to run and repair.

Echos lack of dealer support has pretty much sealed their fate here in Ontario. The landscaping professionals seem to pick Stihl over Echo by a huge margin. The fact that parts take forever to arrive, the lack of dealer support and the way they treat the end user has put a sour taste in most peoples mouths. It maybe different where you are but speaking to Echo dealers from across the country I can see why most saw the writing on the wall and left that particular shade of Orange a long time ago.

There is one really good Echo dealer here in Denver, Craig’s equipment.

As for parts, they order quickly or I get them online and fix everything myself, so dealer support is a moot point for me really.

I do understand that others do have to rely more on the dealer though, which definitely tips the hat to Stihl.

Good thread. I was thinking about getting a powered pole saw but decided they didn't have enough reach. I tried the Jameson green, yellow, then (3) 10 ft blue B-lite manual poles and am very happy with the B-lite. It was very expensive but it already paid for itself over hiring a climber or truck. I've thought a powered one would be nice for clearing the lower brush away from the trunks of hedge trees so I could get to the bottom and cut them down. A young hedge tree is extremely nasty with thorny branches at the base. Years ago, Husqvarna had a portable hydraulic pole saw, PS50, 250.
check out this contraption

I spent a fair bit of time with an ht-101 at a former job i wouldnt spend the money on one. Shafts are weak and flimsy and i personally dont like the 4-mix stuff. My ppt 2620 has been great for me.

Update,

I just got another extension for my Ryobi.
When it dies I'll throw down some coin and get something better with a telescoping shaft.
One thing, only one thing that I like about it is that the guide bar sits at a slight downward angle. When cutting from the ground this is a nice feature. EFCO has one that pivots but for now I'm good.

This is a great thread, though I'm stihl not closer to deciding than I was before. I have an old Echo telescoping Power Pruner TT-21A from the '90s, and it always did well, reliable though the bar oil always leaked. I also have the five foot extension, which for occasional really high use, makes for a very heavy unit, but it does work. The new ones I looked at today seem to have a compatible drive system with the old. My dilemma is that halfway through a job, this old unit suddenly decided not to work. I need it to get really high without climbing, because there is no main trunk on this oddball tree, and a delicate expensive fence is in the way. So, I could pick up a new Echo 25 cc unit for $619 and use my old extension, which would be convenient. Or, I could get the Stihl, which seems from the outside to be a better built unit, but no extension available. Dilemma.

I'm inclined to try to fix the current one, a small motor but it worked, and get the Stihl for more frequent use, saving the Echo for when I need the extension. That's what I WANT to do, but it might be more sensible to get the new Echo for interchangeability of power heads and extensions and so forth. I did not know the HT 133 was a 4 mix. I have a 4 mix string trimmer, and it seems to do well, but I'm stihl not quite sure what the point is behind it.

Latest posts

Back