Pole saw recommendations and opinions!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S650 out the door is a good price. They're 650 before tax here. I'm looking for a pole saw too. Have any of you heard anything bad about the new Stihls? I'm looking at Husqvarna and Echo too. I'd look at Efco if I could find a dealer here.
I have heard they are great and the new features, plus the weight loss is nice...I may just get it...

I bought and used the STIHL HT131 for a group that used all STIHL saws. It is the current 'standard' for professional use IMO. But it gets heavy fast. And the extended part of the telescoping pole is a small diameter. My dealer tells me that this is the part that they repair/replace the most, and it is an expensive part.

If I was buying one for my own use, I would choose the ECHO PPT266, and maybe get the optional 3 foot extension for occasional, extended reach. Cost and weight are similar, and the diameter of the telescoping tube is larger.

Check it out, before getting hung up on paper specification differences.

Also check out the angled, Cannon pruner bars.
http://www.cannonbar.com/product-category/pruning-bars/

Philbert
Thanks philbert!!!

Well guys I am looking hard at the silky hyaichui manual pole saw...it's telescoping and goes to 21'...its aluminum....I have heard they are good, any opinions??

What time of year does this promo happen?

Not all Echo dealers do it. They each choose their own date.

Philbert

its a completely optional thing for dealers to do so not all dealers participate and if we decide to do it we choose the date. Most dealers dont participate because we pay echo to participate in it.

I own an original first year HT 75 I have literally beat on this thing with no problems except a carb replacement last year. That being said I purchased a new HT 100 last year for trimming under cedar. I brought it home cut two Hackberry limbs and returned it ! First return purchase ever. The older stihl 2 cycle or echo is the best purchase for your money

I own an original first year HT 75 I have literally beat on this thing with no problems except a carb replacement last year. That being said I purchased a new HT 100 last year for trimming under cedar. I brought it home cut two Hackberry limbs and returned it ! First return purchase ever. The older stihl 2 cycle or echo is the best purchase for your money
Do you mean the HT101...was itnthe telescoping saw...what was the problems with it...

Reviving this thread because I am also trying to decide between Echo PPT 280 and Stihl, either Kombi or 133.
My son has the Kombi base system, but my understanding is that with the Kombi my max length would be about 9 feet (base=3ft, extension=3', saw head=3ft). The HT 133 goes out to 11' 6" - no extensions. The Echo goes out to 17' 2" w/ a 4 foot extension!!

So a couple of questions - Does anyone have the PPT 280 w/ 4' extension and how unwieldy is it?
Is there a good harness for that?

Note - the 20% off at my local dealer is the middle of next month and that is another influencing factor (Echo lists them on their website http://www.echo-usa.com/Promotions/One-Day-Sale). But I should get everything Echo I need.

Reviving this thread because I am also trying to decide between Echo PPT 280 and Stihl, either Kombi or 133.
My son has the Kombi base system, but my understanding is that with the Kombi my max length would be about 9 feet (base=3ft, extension=3', saw head=3ft). The HT 133 goes out to 11' 6" - no extensions. The Echo goes out to 17' 2" w/ a 4 foot extension!!

So a couple of questions - Does anyone have the PPT 280 w/ 4' extension and how unwieldy is it?
Is there a good harness for that?

Note - the 20% off at my local dealer is the middle of next month and that is another influencing factor (Echo lists them on their website http://www.echo-usa.com/Promotions/One-Day-Sale). But I should get everything Echo I need.

I have the 4' extension on mine. It is difficult to use at that height, but I am glad I have the option to get that high. I have needed it several times. Keeping in mind, I do not use it professionally. So if you are a used to using a pole saw it will be easier for you. Without the extension it isn't bad to use at all. The 14" bar cuts through branches like a hot knife through butter. I have cut up to a 10" oak branch, and I was very surprised how quickly it went through it. Anyhow, I hope this has helped a bit.

When you use one with a 4' extension you need someone behind you to stabilize you.
Well I guess I'll find that out next week. Bought the PPT 280 w/ 4' extension. They had the saw in stock and will ship the bar (darn shop is a 2hr round trip). Without extension it handled fine. So I bought it, got it home and used it and cut one branch about 10' up, 8" diameter.

Well I guess I'll find that out next week. Bought the PPT 280 w/ 4' extension. They had the saw in stock and will ship the bar (darn shop is a 2hr round trip). Without extension it handled fine. So I bought it, got it home and used it and cut one branch about 10' up, 8" diameter.
How did you like it so far.

How did you like it so far.
I've only cut a few branches besides the one I mentioned.
Like others have discussed it cuts like a hot knife through butter. As it should, it's a 28CC chain saw on a stick with a 12" narrow kerf blade.
Obligatory pic, my 6'3" son with the 13' 2" saw while we were still waiting for the 4' extension:
g4-ppt280.jpg

Back