• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Trade Pole spikes for tree spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaulPnderson92

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a pair of pole spikes that I want to trade for a pair of tree spikes, I'm new to climbing and I would really appreciate it, whenever I take a step into a tree with thick bark I'm constantly gaffing out with these pole spikes, please! Somebody help me!

If it’s full time gig I’d invest in a new set that’s more comfortable and will last you. With replaceable gaffs and almost all parts are replaceable as years down the road they wear. If you take care of them they will last a good amount of time even climbing 5-8 hours a day . Day in and day out

Honestly man do you plan on climbing a lot/ full time ? Or is it more weekend type stuff?
I plan on climbing full time, my goal is to be a certified climbing arborist, licensed, bonded and insured, so far I love it, it just feels right, when I'm not up in a tree I'm day dreaming about being up in a tree and how I can do it better next time if not that then I'm researching about arboriculture related content.

Agreed BUT in my opinion and I'm sure you'll agree there are times for both tree spikes and pole spikes, I just got my first pair of tree spikes and although there will definitely be a learning curve and an awkward stage I see alot more comfortable removals in my future (and alot less gaffing out).

In my opinion tree gaffs are more versatile at least here on the east coast. On thicker barked trees you can actually get into the heart... and trusting yourself and your gear will Significantly Speed your climbing up. On thin barked trees your still able to spike in the same, and more piece of mind when your on thicker bark that you are actually into good wood.That slight doubt or worry about gaffing out will never leave your mind and will advertantly slow you down. If not accustomed to longer tree gaffs... there’s definitely a learning curve. More a feeling to get used to as opposed to pole gaffs. As your feet are further away from the tree.

In my opinion tree gaffs are more versatile at least here on the east coast. On thicker barked trees you can actually get into the heart... and trusting yourself and your gear will Significantly Speed your climbing up. On thin barked trees your still able to spike in the same, and more piece of mind when your on thicker bark that you are actually into good wood.That slight doubt or worry about gaffing out will never leave your mind and will advertantly slow you down. If not accustomed to longer tree gaffs... there’s definitely a learning curve. More a feeling to get used to as opposed to pole gaffs. As your feet are further away from the tree.
Oh by the way, thank you again for your advice, I finally just got my first pair of tree spikes in the mail yesterday and they're the replaceable gaff kind, they're definitely going to take some getting used to since I'm so used to pole spikes but like you said I can already feel the difference in how they sink into the heart of the wood and I'm happy to announce that I didn't gaff out once! Woo!

Hell yea buddy! I’m happy I could help you brother! Just remember speed isn’t everything, especially if you have a family. In the arborist/ tree service or climbing industry time is money, but come home to your family trumps all. Efficiency and speed will come but learn the right way, stay safe and have fun. A day in the trees, flying buckets, or hanging from a crane beats a day in an office hands down.Stay safe my friend and Please don’t hesistate to PM me if you ever need anything

Agreed BUT in my opinion and I'm sure you'll agree there are times for both tree spikes and pole spikes, I just got my first pair of tree spikes and although there will definitely be a learning curve and an awkward stage I see alot more comfortable removals in my future (and alot less gaffing out).
absolutely. im not the most balanced dude standing on long picks. but if its huge wood with piles of bark, balancing is less of an issue

Back