Pondarosa Pines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Bowler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I live at 7200 feet @ Ramah, NM. (Zuni Mts.)
Anyway, "Random" PP's are dying. It could be a 80 year old or a 3 year old. Completely Dead in the last 3-4 months. They are "Posted" randomly. I have not seen a Cluster. Though I have seen plenty of CF's.
The Pinions seem to doing OK-so far. What is causing this recent and unusual development?
Please do not tell me Drought. That is a given for the time being..
I would like to learn the cause, as well as site treatments if needed.
Kind Regards.

I live at 7200 feet @ Ramah, NM. (Zuni Mts.)
Anyway, "Random" PP's are dying. It could be a 80 year old or a 3 year old. Completely Dead in the last 3-4 months. They are "Posted" randomly. I have not seen a Cluster. Though I have seen plenty of CF's.
The Pinions seem to doing OK-so far. What is causing this recent and unusual development?
Please do not tell me Drought. That is a given for the time being..
I would like to learn the cause, as well as site treatments if needed.
Kind Regards.
Ok, I won't tell you drought.

In all seriousness, it is probably drought related, but could be many things. Pics would help, and in particular pics of the overall tree, the needles, and also look at the trunk for holes and pitch runs.

Ok, I won't tell you drought.

In all seriousness, it is probably drought related, but could be many things. Pics would help, and in particular pics of the overall tree, the needles, and also look at the trunk for holes and pitch runs.
I will get a photo to you tomorrow. Thank you for the help.

We're seeing the same situation here above Boulder, Co. Random Ponderosas dying in the landscape. At the first sign of brown needles people often assume bark beetles, but that's not what's going on. Bark beetles or IPS beetles result in pitch tubes, and those infestations generally happen in tight stands where trees are stressed by overcrowding, but that's not what we're seeing.

As a resident tree professional, I've had folks ask me what's going on, and I haven't a clue. The good news is it's not widespread, we still have generally green forest surrounding us. But it is odd, as there does not seem to be any apparent cause.

any staining in the wood?
Can't recall. I've cut a few, mostly small ones, but can't remember if the stain is present. I do find blue stain in dead pondos that have not been beetle kill. We used to hear that the bark beetles carried the blue stain, but it may be that other insects bring it in once the tree is dead.

Try to include pictures so we could give better assestment. but from what you have described it is likely to be drought related

I am fully aware of and Know Climate Change is a Real Thing. I also have wandered Deserts in my life. That is why I ask questions.
Have you taken an Vac Shot?

I am fully aware of and Know Climate Change is a Real Thing. I also have wandered Deserts in my life. That is why I ask questions.
Have you taken an Vac Shot?
Have you considered sending us pictures of the trees in question? This is an arborist site, and so far, we haven't seen a tree.

Latest posts

Back