Poor tree, can you tell me what's wrong and if I should do anything?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbig2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello. Other than the trunk of the tree, it seems to be doing well, has lots of leaves and is growing. Can anyone tell me what's going on with the trunk, with the bark peeling , etc.?
Thanks

Attachments

• P1040376.JPG
    P1040376.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 143
  • P1040378.JPG
    P1040378.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 125
looks like sun scald to me. Also planted too deep.

It is trying to callous over the wound but it will never be strong. I would remove and start over........

Their seems to be two schools of thought on this site. One side would look at your pathetic tree & try to convince you to save it at all costs. For some reason because it has some hopeless life it should be saved. The other side will view your tree as damaged goods that will not mature into a specimen. This common sense side foresees future health & structural issues. They also look at trees as renewable resources. Knowing that a good undamaged, properly planted nursery stock in good soil will over take in size & be cheaper in the long run your grossly wounded tree. The decision is a no brainer. :laugh:
Now let the save-a-tree crowd chime in...

Everything deserves a chance...

It's had one, now dig it up

Remove dirt from the stem and send a pic of the roots growing from the stem. If roots are defective, the Cut Crowd might have a good argument, this time...

"a good undamaged, properly planted nursery stock in good soil will over take in size & be cheaper in the long run"

What a beautiful myth; good nursery stock. :rolleyes:

Common sense = :chainsaw: .................. :ices_rofl:

the Cut Crowd might have a good argument, this time...

LOL, The "Cut Crowd" Always has vastly superior & rational arguments, unlike the Save-A-Tree Crowd":D

What a beautiful myth; good nursery stock. :rolleyes:

I have 3 large wholesale nurseries & 2 specialty nurseries within 20 miles of me. It's just the matter of training the guys to know what to look for, finding good trees - not an issue.

Common sense = :chainsaw: .................. :ices_rofl:

I approve of the chainsaw smiles as our common sense "Cut Crowd" icon :chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

To return the favor I have picked the confused smiles to represent the "Save-A-Tree" side. :confused:

:D

SAVATree is a company up your way, isn't it? Not me; wish i had their money. :(

Any vastly superior and rational :bowdown: argument must first get enough evidence to base an assessment on.

Also any vastly superior and rational arborist would not call anyone's tree 'pathetic' based on a 200 kb image on their screen. :oops:

These final decisions are based on client goals so maybe it's best to leave the decisions to them. :buttkick:

Looks like the discussion has gone from a single tree to one of personal politics and religion. How tedious.
The tree is a future blow-down and will break the fence letting livestock onto a road which means you've someone's car to replace. Not such a hard decision really.

Hello. Other than the trunk of the tree, it seems to be doing well, has lots of leaves and is growing. Can anyone tell me what's going on with the trunk, with the bark peeling , etc.?
Thanks
Planted too deep, mulch touching bark, your tree suffers from landscaper disease it is everywhere around here. It can be described as someone planting trees that should stick to tomatoes and flowers. Can it be saved ,maybe should it unlikely .

Not mentioned yet but looks like deer or horses chewed the bark off. What do the trees on the other side of the fence look like ?

Replace and protect, or cutoff and sod over.

Back