Poplar trees in my yard.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have tons of tall, 100'+ strait poplars in the back yard.No branches lower than 50'.A few are more than 4' dbh. I want them cut down and wonder if what their value might be for veneer?20200628_094144.jpg
20200628_105622.jpg

this tree is not one of the big trees

It is low value veneer - mostly used for the inside layers of plywood. Sometimes used for face material in more "utilitarian" uses. Frankly tall straight tulip-poplar are pretty common.

You say they are in the back yard...how are loggers going to get to those? Are you OK if they just drop them, cut the top off and drag them out? Otherwise, a tree removal company is going to cost more than the logs are worth...but you may be able to cover a small portion of their cost by selling logs.

Just got a price for taking down all 4 They're all 100' +.Gonna rope and fell them down the hill in a bunch.They're also gonna put them on the ground if any get hung up.The guy says he knows a guy who will take the logs that can be sold for free so i'll have a lot less to cut up.There is room to get a truck in the backyard and winch the logs to it.We were gonna get just the 2 flagged in the front cut down for $1200.They both needed to be topped. The one on the right w the rot needed to be blocked down to about 50' before felled.
I decided to just cut them all down.They're gonna take down the 2 in the back first and then they can just fell the front trees in one big pile for $1500.
I'll post pics when they're down. There also going to cut the logs to size for the mill.
20200628_094137.jpg

Latest posts

Back